Digging up my septic so it can be pumped. ARGH!!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Most toilet paper is septic tank safe. Sure, it adds some solids to the tank but it is minimal. Sanitary napkins and the like are a no no.

Someone compared ash to the solids in a septic, that's correct. There will be something left after the bacteria do their thing.

Ridex, yeast, enzymes. There is no solid ( ;) ) scientific evidence that they work, only testimonials. It wouldn't hurt though you might be wasting your money.

If you have a lot of "trash" going into your system like from using a garbage disposal you can install a trash tank. It is a smaller tank between the house and the septic tank. It catches much of the undigested waste like ground up food particles. Pump it more often but it can save your system.

Septic systems have to be designed for the conditions where they are installed. Where I live leach fields don't work in most places, the soil is clay. Many people are going to aeration systems. An aeration system is basically a tank with an bubbler and a discharge for the treated liquid. The aeration system works with aerobic bacteria while a typical septic tank tank works with anaerobic bacteria. A properly working aeration system smells like the forest floor, it's an earthy smell, and discharges odorless clear liquid. The solids separate in the tank.

Talk about a thread jack. :cool:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, but this is good stuff! Yes, we did hijack, sorry 'bout that.

I was adamant about NOT having a garbage disposal (had a stupid argument with the electrician, for pete's sake) as I compost all kitchen scraps. But my friend was told by her plumber that a garbage disposal is good for a septic tank, as it gives all the bacteria something to munch on. Again, I'm :hu

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Highjack away!!! I've completed my part and now we have wonderful discussions. This is great :)

I think the septic, roof, well and furnace are the most inportant parts of owning a house. So any topics on these subjects can help, I hope.

:thumbsup

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just reading about all the hassles in digging out the hole for the tank has me kind of tap dancing. Right now I have a 'flower bed' that's all weeds marking my tank location.
DH is tired of mowing around it, as am I, so we moved the railroad ties a few weeks ago. Since the bed is nothing but dried out ragweed 3' and 4' tall, I was going to burn it when I thought of it and there was no wind. Now I'm a little more inclined to leave the weeds for a marker, dig around while we know where the tank is, and put something where that opening is.

Now, who was it that said what to use around the opening?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Just reading about all the hassles in digging out the hole for the tank has me kind of tap dancing. Right now I have a 'flower bed' that's all weeds marking my tank location.
DH is tired of mowing around it, as am I, so we moved the railroad ties a few weeks ago. Since the bed is nothing but dried out ragweed 3' and 4' tall, I was going to burn it when I thought of it and there was no wind. Now I'm a little more inclined to leave the weeds for a marker, dig around while we know where the tank is, and put something where that opening is.

Big ugly garden gnome?;) You could nick name him Mr. Stinky! :lol:

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Marianne said:

Big ugly garden gnome?;) You could nick name him Mr. Stinky! :lol:
Yup!! Old Stink Butt

dacjohns

Reaction score
Marianne said:
Oh, but this is good stuff! Yes, we did hijack, sorry 'bout that.

I was adamant about NOT having a garbage disposal (had a stupid argument with the electrician, for pete's sake) as I compost all kitchen scraps. But my friend was told by her plumber that a garbage disposal is good for a septic tank, as it gives all the bacteria something to munch on. Again, I'm :hu
Good for the plumber.

It's been a few years but I used to issue permits and inspect private sewage systems. I'm pretty sure that a trash tank was required if the house had a garbage disposal. The bacteria munch on digested food, waste. Ground up stuff from the garbage disposal adds too much solid waste.

dacjohns

Reaction score
Once you dig up the tank and find the entrance hole on top install a riser with a cap at ground level. No more digging.