dip recipes? (like for chicken strips, etc)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My 4 yr old is going thru a phase where he is interested in the concept of dipping one food into another. It makes most meals containing sauces 'interesting' <g>. But since it is basically harmless, I am perfectly willing to make things like oven-baked breaded chicken strips, fried fish, or oven-roast potato 'fries', that he can dip into... um, into what?

I grabbed some leftover bbq sauce from the freezer but he doesn't really like my bbq sauce all *that* much and besides there's got to be a bunch other things to make too. I'm thinking I might try some sort of mixture of honey-garlic-butter. What else? I know a very spicy grape jelly or cranberry-sauce based dip, but he unfortunately doesnt Do spicy.

All recipes (although preferably not starting out "1 package of...") welcomed! :)

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Is radish "spicy"? I tried a radish dip that was basically equal parts radish and cream cheese with some green onion all blended in the food processor. It was pretty good. Easy and healthy.

Otherwise, I have to admit that we tend toward hot spicy sauces in our house. :/

Edited to clarify that the radish is healthy, but not the cream cheese so much. :p

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Is radish "spicy"?
To me it is. Blech. I loathed them as a child. Son might like them ok except that dim DH decided last year to give him one without warning him of the strong taste, and son took a huge bite, and GAH. So, probalby radish dip not gonna fly. Nice try tho :)

Edited to clarify that the radish is healthy, but not the cream cheese so much. :p
LOL

Actually though I wonder if I could make dips with something *like* cream cheese, lower fat. Ricotta run thru a seive or something. Hmmm. Interesting suggestion, as a general concept... :)

THanks!

Pat, sadly the only person in our house who likes 'spicy' (well, our 1.5 yr old shows some tolerance/interest, so maybe there is *some* hope -he is also the only one besides me who likes pickled beets or sauerkraut. Of course he also does *not* like dips :p)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sometimes we mix mustard and honey together. Great for homemade chicken nuggets.

Salad dressings are good with veggies.

Here's my family's dill dip recipe:
8 oz sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
2 t dried onion flakes
1 t beaumonde seasoning (or other seasoned salt)
sprinkle of dried parsley
2 t dried dill weed

Tzatziki Sauce:
16 ounces plain yogurt
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
Pinch kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced

Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros and other sandwiches, dip for veggies. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Veggie Dip --really good
3 cups sour cream
4 t dried chives
2 T onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 t celery seed
t salt

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Actually though I wonder if I could make dips with something *like* cream cheese, lower fat. Ricotta run thru a seive or something. Hmmm. Interesting suggestion, as a general concept... :)
How about yogurt cheese? Let plain yogurt drain through a coffee-filter lined sieve in the fridge (over a bowl) overnight. The result will be yogurt cheese, approximately the texture of cream cheese but way less fat (assuming you start with low-fat plain yogurt). That'd be perfect for dips!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol: The radish dip didn't seem too spicy to me, but then I have adult taste buds. Good luck! You might want to experiment with a yogurt base instead of cheese for a creamy dip . . . or even ranch dressing. I guess it depends upon what flavors the little guy likes. :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
At the pre K - elementary school, if we gave them a small cup of buttermilk ranch dressing, the kids would eat every veggie put in front of them. We had the 18 month old kids ask for seconds on slices of cucumbers and steamed carrots. I found cream cheese blends well with ranch dressing, if you are trying to sneak a protein in with the veggies. Hummus is good with some veggies. Also, some veggies (carrots and celery) seem to go well with peanut butter at that age. :D

For the fish or chicken nuggets and corn dog type foods, honey and watered down bbq; ketchup mixed with ranch; and plain ketchup were the favorites.

ETA: I pulled these out of my old school files...

Cool Creamy Dip for Veggies & Meats
Makes 2 cups

1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
1 1/4 cup low fat mayo
1/4 cup instant non-fat dry milk
1 T dried parsley
3/8 tsp garlic powder
3/8 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper (opt)

Good with chicken, veggies, crackers & chips A healthier alternative to Ranch dressing.

Cucumber Yogurt Dip
Makes 14 servings

2 cup plain low fat yogurt
8 oz low fat cottage cheese
1 cup raw, peeled, diced cucumber
2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
2 T dill weed, fresh or dried
2 tsp lemon juice, fresh or bottled
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp lemon zest (opt)

Combine yogurt and cheese till smooth, add rest of ingredients. Good with beef & veggies.

Fruity Dipping Sauce for Chicken or Fish Nuggets
Sorry, I don't have a smaller portion than this.

1 (#10) cans peaches, drained over bowl to reserve syrup
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp vinegar
1 1/4 c. reserved peach syrup
1/8 c. cornstarch
1/4 - 1 c. brown sugar
1/16 tsp ground ginger

Puree peaches in blender in batches and set aside in large bowl.

Combine soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch and 1 c of reserved peach syrup in a bowl and set aside:

Put 1 c. of reserved peach syrup in large pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Add cornstarch mixture. Stir in pureed peaches. Chill for minimum of 2 hours before serving.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
apple slices are really good dipped into cream cheese with a little brown sugar creamed into it.

I like garlic aioli (sp?): mayo, a couple garlic cloves and fresh basil all whirred in the food processor. It's pretty good with any meat.

Also if you're ok with mayonnaise, I mix it with an equal amount of dijon mustard (bet it would be ok with plain yellow mustard too) add chopped shallots (again any onion type thing would work) chopped chervil or parsley and a little ground pepper.

Cream cheese softened and mixed with a little milk and carmelized onions, salt and pepper is YUM too. I suppose you could try it with ricotta might not be the same. I've always had a little trouble with the texture of ricotta personally.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any dressings

Nicole loves ranch and french dressing.
She loves A-1 sauce and teriyaki sauce.
She dips in fruit in strawberry yogurt.
Never forget plain old ketchup and mustard for dipping.

Nothing spicy cause if a little kid hits a "big" spicy in a bit of spicy it can shut down their airway. The nurses said to be cautious don't do spicy. Makes sense to me I guess..LOL

Hope some some of that helps. Dipping is fun!!!!!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Oh cool, a whole BUNCH of good-sounding recipes to try! Thanks so much everyone! (From Harry, I'm sure, as well) :D

Pat