Dirty Old Stove

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good way to get off the baked-on grease on an old stove top? It is not feasable for this person to toss the ugly thing out and get a new one, which is what I recommended (!) so maybe we can make it look better? Any ideas?

SuburbanFarmChic

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Put some oven cleaner on it and let it sit. This also works for baked on grease on glass pyrex style pans. Just make sure to rise the tar out of it when you are finished cleaning it.

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Have you tried baking soda? You can sprinkle it on and then really rub it in. (You might want to wear gloves or use a rag)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sprinkle on baking soda, scrub a bit, then spray on a little vinegar, let it fizz really good, and scrub some more, then rinse/wipe clean. It worked on mine.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll try the baking soda and vinegar first, and if that doesn't do the job (or if it is too much elbow grease required) then I'll try the oven cleaner. Thanks, ya'll!

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Be careful with oven cleaner indoors some can be nasty.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah.....I have asthma. I hold my breath while I am spraying and do it quick and walk away fast to breath......stay away for a good while. Put tin foil on when its nice and shiny, so it doesn't happen again.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
warm the stove up first...you dont want it too hot to work in...but warming it up a little will help soften the grease and brime and help the baking soda do its thing when applied

i have a fiend who swears the best way to clena a sotve is to put lemon juice nd water in a backing dish and setting that in the oven on very low for about 1/2 hour, then comming back while still warm and sprinkling liberal amounts of baking soda mixed with water (make a paste) and plastering it on any yucky spots...let it sit a few mins and scrub with a none scratch scouring pad.

something about the lemon steam and the heat aparently helps loosen everything off with no need for heavy chemical cleaners.

and agreed, for reay stubborn spots add a little vinear to the baking soda paste and let the fizz do th work :)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, pinkfox, but this grease is on the stove top. It has a self-clean cycle in the oven.