Disappointed in my local dairy.

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our creamery just opened it's doors to the public and is selling ice cream, cheese, curds, etc. I was so excited to be able to support the local farmers until I realized I wasn't going to be able to afford it.
They are charging $15 for a 2lb. brick of cheddar cheese. $8 for a half gallon of ice cream.
This is made right on site with no middleman to hike up prices.
I'm just bummed.

peckndirt

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Don't worry when the newness wares off and the bills kick in they'll come around. You would think the prices would be about half that anyway.I'll be glad when I get enough fencing to get cows of my own again.

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would love to have a cow. It just is so expensive here to take care of them in the winter. The cost of keeping the water thawed and having a place to keep the feed dry and thawed....
it's alot of work.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Are these artisanal cheeses? If they are exceptionally crafted then the prices would be higher. I agree with peckndirt.

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Are these artisanal cheeses? If they are exceptionally crafted then the prices would be higher. I agree with peckndirt.
No, unfortunately it's just pressed bricks of cheddar. I could understand specialty cheeses being more.
I hope peckndirt is right, once they get over themselves the prices should go down.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I hope they get those prices down fast!

So you can taste test and tell us all about it! ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this is an organic dairy? If so, the higher prices are for this particular reason, I would imagine. Organic feeds and hay are so much more expensive to obtain than commercial feeds.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm wondering if this is an organic dairy? If so, the higher prices are for this particular reason, I would imagine. Organic feeds and hay are so much more expensive to obtain than commercial feeds.
Well Shoot pie It shouldn't be that way !!! There should be a way that the government gives a tax break to good people that want to go organic..that is farmers...consumers...Phewy on large corperations!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Organic shouldn't have to be so expensive, but the nature of the beast is that animals raised in a more natural way don't produce as much, as quickly, as those stimulated with hormones and bolstered with medication and fed cheaper, high protein/sugar foods. Therefore they cannot produce enough to sell it as cheaply as do the big commercial guys.

I still think it should be a little cheaper than those prices, though! :p

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It takes 24 pounds of milk to make that 2 lbs. of hard cheese. Overhead on a small dairy for that much milk could easily eat up half the cost for that quantity of milk. Especially if they have can't keep cows on pasture and have to get feed shipped in. Just a few things to consider.

Latest posts