Disappointed in my local dairy.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I would think it would be horrendously expensive to keep dairy cows in much of Alaska, having to ship in all that hay and so forth. Their prices might have to reflect that.

There are doubtless parts of the world where it genuinely is cheaper to fly milk in (expensive tho that is) than to produce it locally.

You could look at their prices and see if the price of the basic milk or cream itself would make it worthwhile to make your OWN ice cream, yogurt or cheese. Maybe?

Good luck,

Pat

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input.
The dairy isn't organic, though I wish it was. They sell milk in the stores here, Fred Meyer, Walmart, and Safeway and it runs about $5 a gallon. That is with the retail mark-up.

We have many cow farms around here, and no they don't get much from the pastures in the winter. Of course we have farmers that supply the hay and straw, in the fall. It sells out the fastest and is never enough to keep from having to have some trucked up.

Also like any other area, the crops thrive or fail based on the weather.
I know there could be so many reasons for the high prices. I just don't think in these hard times, that they will succeed by continuing to charge so much.
That would mean devastation to our dairy farms, since this is the only dairy in Alaska.

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi Pat,
I make yogurt and ice cream quite a bit. I have a kit to make cheese, I just haven't tried it yet.
Have you made cheese? I know some of us here have. Maybe I can find a thread about it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have played with soft non-aged cheeses a little, like ricotta and 30 minute mozzarella and another one that I don't remember the name. I would not describe myself as good at it by any stretch of the imagination however :p

I believe several SS members have Actual cheesemaking experience, though. You could start a thread and ask :) I'd be very interested in it too!

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am interested in cheesemaking also. I just bought some rennet, and I am going to try it one of these days--if the kids ever leave me enough milk to try it with. One day I will have my own cow, then I'll have enough I hope.

Have you inquired about whether or not you can buy raw milk from the dairy?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Alaska Animal Lover said:
Hi Pat,
I make yogurt and ice cream quite a bit. I have a kit to make cheese, I just haven't tried it yet.
Have you made cheese? I know some of us here have. Maybe I can find a thread about it.
Some of us have tried that kit, too :) It's easy and fun. Here's a link to a previous thread about it: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=761

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ooh thanks for the link! I browsed earlier but then had to get off the computer and clean, can you imagine?:sick

That is the same kit I have, so I guess I will be making lasagne soon!

You know, I have thought about asking for raw milk, but it is such a huge issue here, and illegal, I'm somewhat afraid.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Maybe they'd sell it raw if you said it was for your dog..... ;)

This is exactly why I got a pregnant goat, I ran into the same issues. And I'm in New England, not Alaska! Prices are around the same. Goats' milk goes for about $8 per half gallon.

I hope to make goat cheese and yogurt. Wish we could support a little Jersey cow. Maybe some day. The goat is a good start to get some experience without all the expense and risk.

Then I had to go rescue one...... :he

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ooh thanks for the link! I browsed earlier but then had to get off the computer and clean, can you imagine?:sick

You know, I have thought about asking for raw milk, but it is such a huge issue here, and illegal, I'm somewhat afraid.
There are raw milk cowshares operating in alaska.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
kstaven said:

There are raw milk cowshares operating in alaska.
My apologies to the op if this is somewhat off-topic--

Kstaven--I know you are Canadian--do you know of any way one could find out about cow shares in Canada? (and also where I might be able to find info on selling meat birds and meat rabbits in Canada--I realize you are in BC, and me in Ontario, but any leads in that direction would be invaluable to me.