Disturbing & Spreading New Trend....

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
It's something everyone has to be concerned with these days.Unless you live in a bubble.It's happening in rural areas and inner cities.Young groups of people using Youtube for "Flash Mobbing" AKA "Mob Robbery"....Technology has come a long way, but this use, is not a good thing.Groups of youth decide quickly where they are going to meet and raise hovac and rob stores/people...Its spreading from Chicago, to Philly, to Calif., North Dakaota and even Alaska..It's becoming a big 'CopyCat' thing for youth.There are often people attacked and hurt.Okay, so crime has been around a long time.But these are mostly younger teens.I know some of you are saying...More doom & gloom talk,but shouldn't we talk/discuss what our youth are doing...? In these hard economic times, teenage summer jobs have been hit hard, funding for youth activities are being cut sharply.One could say these are sure signs of our society unraveling, because our kids see no future, can't find a summer job.What do you all think can be done about this..? Law enforement is very concerned as this new trend is spreading quickly across America.Are these the Zombies of the future, the zombies we've been talking around ? Its a scary trend, that has to be stopped.For the sake of arguing and fighting,if you can't say something positive or don't like the subject,please move on to another thread.This concerns us all and may be coming to a neighborhood near you sooner than you think...Survival,and watching out for this activity is part of our Sufficent Self way of living, IMO...

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my teen is at church camp. So no flash mob robbing. LOL. Or at least I'm reasonably confident.

Teens aren't the problem and neither is technology, its lack of parenting.

IMO.

I worked with these type teens. Its a nightmare and I do not know how to fix it, they are unraised and they are a real threat to everyones future.

S

sunsaver

This should be under the zombie thread. I've heard about the flash mob robbery. I think a loaded shot gun behind the counter would be a good start. Multiple tall fences and barbed wire might make your place less of a target. As far as parents preventing this; well, i once saw a mother teaching her small young daughter how to shop-lift.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
but shouldn't we talk/discuss what our youth are doing...?
My teen has been offered three jobs for this summer, working in a burger joint,doing hay, corn detassling and other farm jobs, and doing odd jobs on the weekend. the other teen is way too busy with her horses to even be concerned about crap like that.
they are rarely on th computer, less than 2 hours per week, unless homework requires it. We don't have highspeed, so youtube is not an option.

So, I know my teens are not doing this, I know what mine are doing.

.For the sake of arguing and fighting,if you can't say something positive or don't like the subject,please move on to another thread
I don't see this as arguing, just looking at another side. I don't think my statements are negative, so I feel my comments should be accepted here., just becasue I don't think that all youth sholud be painted with the same brush. It is serious,but yet again, all through history youth have progressively done things to shock the older generation. Why should now be different, so in that aspect, I do see it as doom and gloom.

Teens aren't the problem and neither is technology, its lack of parenting.
ditto this. exactly.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I think what you've said about parenting is pretty much true, Hillfarm..I also think when teens get to wilding, parental influence can wane, you know the peer pressure thing.We also can't deny that the quick, new tech. communications out there aren't playing a part.I think all these things of the day are conspiring to push this new problem...i think the poor economy,lacking constructive stuff for kids to do is fanning the flames...It's a good thing that your child is in church camp.I suspect many out there don't have that oppurtunity...

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I don't think what you said is negative or arguing either missthenorth. Ahhhh, i didn't say all kids were doing what were discussing,its good you know what yours are up to.I think its great your children have the oppurtunity to choose from several jobs, how fortunate in this economic climate.Hey, i can't get youtude or facebook either, i'm a low-tech with dial-up.....lol

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I feel badly for those stupid misguided kids. :/ They aren't the problem, parenting is the root of the real problem. I have to say I know where mine is at all times, but even some of my friends haven't a clue what their children do, and think I am too strict :th It's a crazy world we live in for sure. What happened to kids going fishing or doing chores, or anything productive for that matter?!

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The gov is afraid that it could be Used to assemble a militia instantly and take on the corrupt system!!!!
Hahha just kidding!!!
:pop yea like an action movie!!
:pop

Flash mobs used nicely really can make breathtaking displays. I love the zOmbie ones lol. Thats incredible getting all of the people to dress as zombies and go to a random location.. Lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
trend, just like you said.

when gangs truly started, same thing was discussed etc.

for me, not much you can do about it. leave it to law enforcement etc. and hope it runs its course fast.

it starts with the parents, I sure agree and not everyone will have good or any parents to handle being raised. that has always been.

it is a 'flash'

how do you prepare for that and even tho you threw out this topic, what answers are you looking for on how to 'prepare' for this trend? what can be done :idunno heck they tried to stop gangs and that hasn't worked very well. again, :idunno

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Around here there are plenty of summer jobs, but few teens want to do them. Picking blueberries is no fun; nor are the other farm jobs found in a rural community like this - so farm stands are closing, and kids are getting in trouble, because they can't find a common point. I've never heard of Flash Mobbing (but there are a lot of things I've never heard of ;)), but I would assume that it is a matter of poor parenting rather than a lack of things that the teens could be doing instead. But (disclaimer) I don't have children.