"Ditzy Goat CHEESE Recipes" Samssimonsays/Blazing Acres

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gruyere

1. Heating and Acidifying the Milk:
I usually begin this cheese with either 8 or 16 gallons of milk... the larger size making for a longer aging cheese.

The recipe below is for 8 gallons of milk.

Begin by warming the milk to 90F. Once reached add either:

• 1/8 tsp TA060 Thermophilic culture
  • or
  • 1 packet of C201 Thermophilic culture
Along with the above culture you'll also need to add 1/32 tsp LH100 Helveticus culture and 1/32 tsp Proprionic Acid

Let your milk ripen for 1 hour.

2. Coagulation with Rennet:
Next add 1 tsp. (4.5ml) single strength liquid rennet, stir in gently and let sit quietly for 30 minutes to coagulate.

As the coagulation takes place you can check for a good set by using one of the methods shown below

Note: You'll be looking for a soft curd set for this recipe.

A. Pull the curd back from the edge of the vat with the back of your hand.

B. Press down on the curd to feel for a proper firmness.

C. Use the traditional "splitting of the curd with a finger method."

3. Cutting the Curd and Releasing the Whey:
Before cutting the curd the cooler top layer should be turned over to warm for a few minutes.

The curd will be quite soft so first cut to 1 inch than let rest for minutes.

Next cut the curd to 1/4 inch and follow with a long stir to expel whey before the scalding.

4. Cooking the Curds:
After being cut, the curd is scalded to 114F over the next 30 min.

Once the curd reaches it's scald temperature the stirring continues until proper dryness is reached.

More moisture for a younger, earlier ripening cheese and drier for a longer cave ageing.

Scalding the curds will will create the elastic texture and proper dryness as shown here

5. Draining the Curds
Now the whey should be drained down to the curd level. Once drained a weighted plate can be placed onto of the curds for pre-pressing which will consolidate the curd into a compact mass. For pre-pressing add 8-12 lbs of weight ontop of the plate.

Molding and Pressing:
Following the pre-press, the consolidated curd mass can now be gathered in a cloth and transferred to the waiting form.

Up until this point, very little acidity has been produced by the cultures due to the high temps so far.

From this point on the Thermophilic culture will become active as the cheese cools down and the pH will begin to drop as lactose is converted to lactic acid

For this cheese use 25 lbs of weight and work up to a final weight of 50-100 lbs depending on how long you plan to age the cheese. Less weight will yield a higher final moisture and hence young to medium aging cheese.

The total pressing time will be 18-24 hours. The goal is to end up with a cheese that is quite dry yet elastic to undergo many months of aging.

7. Salting:
Your cheese can now be removed from the mold and placed into a brine solution for 24 hours. Be sure to sprinkle the top of your cheese with some cheese salt, flip it half way through and sprinkle salt over the top once more.

For details on creating a brine solution click here.

Once your cheese has been brined place it into a cheese cave at 54F and 85% RH.

For the next 2-3 days apply a rubbing with dry salt to the surface of your cheese.

8. Aging:
The cheese is now ready to be aged for 30-40 days.

The aging temperature is 54-58F and humidity of 85-87% should be maintained. Any surface mold should be wiped away with a saturated brine solution.

Once the rind forms the cheese should be kept quite moist and washed with a light brine solution 2-3 times a week for 8-14 months. This will help to develop the proper ripening surface.

After a few months you will start to notice a traditional damp rosy rind forming.

Finally, at 8-14 months the cheese will be ready.

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Munster

This is a typical washed rind cheese that uses a regular brine wash to control unwanted mold
and develop a characteristic rich flavor and ripening profile
The added moisture helps the development of bacteria that gives this cheese its particular taste and color

the milk is warmed to 86-90F and a mesophilic starter is added
rennet is added after a short ripening period and allowed to establish a firm set
the curd is then cut into 1/2-3/4" pieces and stirred slowly with little to no heating
the molds and cloths
are sanitized

when the curd is of proper firmness the
whey is removed down to the curd level
hot water is poured over
the molds and cloths
and after filling are stacked on one another for weight

the re stacking and flipping
continues and soon...
... as they are repeatedly turned, a smooth surface develops
they will remain in these forms overnight or longer
until a fine firm but soft cheese
is formed

the final cheese is now ready for dry salting
which may last several days
The young cheese is now moved to the cave where they are
washed with a light brine
every 2-3 days

until eventually after 3-5 weeks a yellow to orange surface develops
....this is the ripening culture which gives this cheese it's special aroma and flavor

C101 or 1/8 tsp of MA 4001
plus 1/16 tsp B.linens and a pinch ofGeotrichum
Ripen the milk @ 86 for 1 hour
increase to 95-97 before adding rennet
add 4 ml of rennet and wait 1 hour
cut to 5/8" over 10 min. then stir for 20-30 minutes, depending on dryness desired
have molds prepared with cloths
remove 20% whey
mold under whey
use 5 molds with initial weight of stacked molds flip @ .5 - 1.5 - 3 hrs

Hold room temp at 75-80F reduce to 65F in 3 hrs
hold for 18-24 hrs until pH reaches 5.2-5,3

dry salt (1.75% of cheese weight) over 1-3 days at 80% RH 65F
At Day 4 begin rubbing w/ light brine
and hold at 57F 95-98%RH
wash and turn 3x a week during the next 2 weeks

At 2 weeks dry, wrap, and store at 43-46F
until ripe ....
This will take 4-6 weeks for small ones or .. 2-3 months for larger ones
What you may need :

Mesophilic culture
Calcium Chloride (if you are using store bought milk)
rennet
B.linens
(red mold for surface)
Plastic Mold and Followerhttps://www.cheesemaking.com/default-cPath-36_53.php
Cheesecloth
Salt

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What kind of cheeses have you found work the best for you? What are natural methods for cheesemaking? Curious!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! :bow

I'm going to have to branch out. Between you and Sam I'm feeling totally inadequate as a cheesemaker, lol! Ya'll are great inspiration!

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am looking forward to learning more from you! I am just starting but so far I only had a failure when I tried to add cheese coloring. For whatever reason it just didn't go right... I don't feel the need to add coloring to it but we thought it would be fun to try. WRONG. :hide

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've made cheese, mostly we make soap. Although I would LOVE to try your recipes you've been using because they always look amazing!

Latest posts