RICOTTA

INGREDIENTS
  • ½ gallon whole milk
  • 1 cup of heavy cream
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • juice of two lemons (about ½ cup)
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a heavy pot, heat milk and cream to 180'F .
  2. When the mixture reaches temperature, remove from heat and add lemon juice, salt, and vinegar.
  3. Gently stir a few times to combine. Allow it to sit undisturbed for 10-15 minutes.
  4. Place a colander lined with cheesecloth over a large container.
  5. Slowly pour the milk mixture into the colander.
  6. Gather the cheesecloth around the ricotta and tie it with kitchen twine.
  7. Hang from your faucet and let it drip for about 1 hour, gently squeezing excess moisture every 15 minutes or so.
  8. Store in a glass container for up to three days. Makes about 2 cups.

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmer’s Cheese

Supplies:
  • Large stock pot
  • Slotted spoon
  • Colander
  • Cheesecloth
Ingredients:
  • Whole milk – either Vitamin D milk from the store or farm fresh milk
  • Vinegar – Apple Cider Vinegar is my favorite, but you could also use White Vinegar
Step 1
Heat your milk slowly, then, as it begins to froth, add the Apple Cider Vingear. Use 1/4 cup for every gallon of milk.

Step 2
Stir thoroughly until the milk begins to curdle.

Step 3
Line your colander with cheesecloth and gently ladle the curds in to drain.

Step 4
Hang your curds to drain for 3-4 hours, depending on preference. Don’t allow them to drain for too long, or they will become dry.
Refrigerate the cheese, it will keep for 7 days in the fridge.

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cheddar Cheese

2 gallons whole, non-homogenized, filtered, pasteurized cow’s milk (I use Natrel Organic)
1⁄2 teaspoon mesophilic starter, or 4 tablespoons fresh starter
1 teaspoon liquid, or 1⁄4 tablet rennet crushed and diluted in water
1⁄2 teaspoon calcium chloride diluted in water
2 tablespoons non-iodized salt
Optional flavoring (garlic, dried tomato and basil, or anything you wish!)
Cheese wax

In double boiler, heat milk to 85°F. Stir in starter. Remove pot from heat, cover and allow to sit for 1 hour.

Heat mixture to 85°; add rennet and mix gently. Add calcium chloride and mix gently. Let sit for 1 hour at 85°.

Test curds by cutting with a knife; be sure there’s a clean break. Using double boiler, increase mixture temperature to 100° over 30 to 40 minutes. Gently turn curds occasionally with slotted spoon for another 30 minutes.

Line colander with cheese cloth and drain curds for 15 to 20 minutes. (Collect the whey, if you want, for use in bread or muffin baking.)

Cut curds into slices. Pour curds back in double boiler. Let sit for 2 hours with water in double boiler at 100°.

Add salt and any flavoring, if desired. Mix gently.

Line press with cheese cloth.

Pour curds into press, cover and apply pressure.

Drain whey as necessary and turn every 15 minutes for 1 hour. Then turn every 12 hours for 36 hours.

Place on drying rack and turn every 12 hours for 3 days. (A rind should form.) Brush wax on cheese. Allow to dry. Brush with second coat of wax. Allow to age in cool room (50 degrees) for up to 45 days, if you can wait.

It really is worth the wait!

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mmmmmmmm....THANK YOU for the recipes. I've never made cheese but I may try these.

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have many more to share. I am trying to start out with the "easier" ones before moving up. I have upwards of 50 recipes so stay tuned! ;)

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I see you live up north. I live around Houston, TX. Will the temperatures matter in making cheese?

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I see you live up north. I live around Houston, TX. Will the temperatures matter in making cheese?
I make all of mine in the house so I doubt it will. I compiled these recipes from all over the interwebs so there is no rhyme nor reason behind which ones I chose aside from moldy cheese, I left those out but I can certainly find some to share:sick :hide

The funny thing is, I don't even like cheese.... :cool:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do make cheese - but I make "instant" cheese that goes straight to the refrigerator. Mine doesn't have to be stored at any certain temperatures for any amount of time, so I might save those for cooler weather.

Latest posts