DIY Compost Bin ideas

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking of using the spare Pallets I have around the yard. The fence wire sounds interesting though. Do you ever cover it with anything?

Nope. And i dont turn often either. Usually takes a whole season for me to get finished compost. But i work full time and have 4 kids AND a homestead so we do what we can.

Jeffeff95

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nope. And i dont turn often either. Usually takes a whole season for me to get finished compost. But i work full time and have 4 kids AND a homestead so we do what we can.

Same here (minus the 4 kids lol) If it takes all season that's okay with me.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's what's called a moulder pile... doesn't get quite as hot, and some of the weed seeds may survive. But it's sure the heck easier than turning!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Trench composting is used here some. Mainly because just digging trenches and tossing stuff in before burying works well with all the worms we have here. Then plant in that spot next year.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I often trench between my garden rows. If one wants to keep a neat city yard without having a compost pile "clutter things up", trench composting is the way to go. You open one hole at a time, add the day's waste from kitchen, and cover it with the shovel full of soil you remove from the next hole. That way, you always have a fresh hole waiting to be filled.

However, a word to the wise: Beware. Sometimes, when you step on the covered parts of the trench, the soil on top can slide, sending your foot into a skid.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A friend/co-worker was talking about the gardening that he and his wife are going to try to do on their second story deck at the apartment where they live. He was trying to figure out a way to build a composter on his little deck - to go along with his planters and bench.
So I suggested that they do a vermicompost bin under their kitchen sink to save the space outside. Let the worms do the work and get the compost tea for fertilizing their garden all summer. Add the castings to the beds next spring for next years garden.

Here is a link to the EPA web-page on worm composting:
https://www.epa.gov/recycle/how-create-and-maintain-indoor-worm-composting-bin

BTW, the world must be coming to an end because the US EPA and Mother Earth News have just about the same instructions for worm composting. Do those two entities ever agree?:p

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fence ring here. 2" x4" size. I started with 2, when we were doing gardens. Now down to one. It gets the deep litter, and some small garden trimmings. I don't turn it either. Just let it do it's composting thing.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I built some bins last summer. They're functional but I learned some lessons:

1) Make the gate higher, so snow doesn't get in the way
2) figure out a better way to make it sturdy. The walls just aren't as solid as I want, so keeping a tight close on all of them isn't consistent
3) maybe do the chicken wire in panels instead of wrapping and stapling as it's tough to get a fully secure fitting without gaps

20181013_161909_Burst01.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just throw food waste, leaves, weeds, hay, straw, sawdust, anything organic really in the chicken and turkey yards. Occasionally throw down some barn lime if it gets to stinky and they do the rest. Its some rich ****, no joke.

Latest posts