DIY Compost Bin ideas

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I often trench between my garden rows. If one wants to keep a neat city yard without having a compost pile "clutter things up", trench composting is the way to go. You open one hole at a time, add the day's waste from kitchen, and cover it with the shovel full of soil you remove from the next hole. That way, you always have a fresh hole waiting to be filled.

However, a word to the wise: Beware. Sometimes, when you step on the covered parts of the trench, the soil on top can slide, sending your foot into a skid.

I second the trench composting. Ive done it alot with fish and sluaghter waste. Did a video on it i bet theres a thread on the video here somewhere

Jeffeff95

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here ya go. I dug up a link

Appreciate the link!
When I get home today I will look at it.
I went on the weekend to see if I could salvage that barrel I seen on my yard the previous owner left.
Turned out to be an old fuel barrel so I have decided against that idea lol.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I throw everything in with the chickens and compost using Deep Litter. Weeds, grass clilpings, dead leaves, small branches, everything gets thrown in there, and the chickens do all the stirring. In the spring, I put it in the garden, and start over. Just make sure you get some moisture in there as needed. A good compost pile helps the chickens feet warm in the winter. :D