DIY Compost Bin ideas

Jeffeff95

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you want a bin that you load, and simply wait for the compost to "cook it'self"? Or do you want something that requires you to turn it? I like @Britesea 's spinning bin, but that sounds like a bit of a difficult construct, and sounds like she just uses it to "sift" not to cook her pile.

Late last fall, long after ground freeze, I made a double bin with pallets. 3 sided affair, kind of like a capital E. It took about 1 - 2 hours for me to screw it together. If I do a compost pile at all, I'm just gonna pile it up and walk away. I'm not young enough to be turning compost.

However, most of my composting efforts are not your standard fare:

Sheet compost, trench compost, stack the stuff on top of my hugel kulture mound, lasagna gardening, dump it into the chicken run so they can turn it and amend it, or add it to the BTE woodchips. And even vermicomposting.

If you use a barrel, you're gonna need to add LOTS of ventilation. Otherwise, it will turn into an anaerobic mess that will smell like a cess pool. And a closed heap requires much more attention to your mix of greens and browns. The only good thing I can say about a closed heap is that it is less likely to attract rodents and other creatures of the night. JMHO.

I was thinking more of a barrel or pallets. The turning concept looks good but for now I think I’d like to stick with a sit and wait method.that is a very good point though about ventilation I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking of using the spare Pallets I have around the yard. The fence wire sounds interesting though. Do you ever cover it with anything?

Nope. And i dont turn often either. Usually takes a whole season for me to get finished compost. But i work full time and have 4 kids AND a homestead so we do what we can.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's what's called a moulder pile... doesn't get quite as hot, and some of the weed seeds may survive. But it's sure the heck easier than turning!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Trench composting is used here some. Mainly because just digging trenches and tossing stuff in before burying works well with all the worms we have here. Then plant in that spot next year.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fence ring here. 2" x4" size. I started with 2, when we were doing gardens. Now down to one. It gets the deep litter, and some small garden trimmings. I don't turn it either. Just let it do it's composting thing.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I built some bins last summer. They're functional but I learned some lessons:

1) Make the gate higher, so snow doesn't get in the way
2) figure out a better way to make it sturdy. The walls just aren't as solid as I want, so keeping a tight close on all of them isn't consistent
3) maybe do the chicken wire in panels instead of wrapping and stapling as it's tough to get a fully secure fitting without gaps

20181013_161909_Burst01.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just throw food waste, leaves, weeds, hay, straw, sawdust, anything organic really in the chicken and turkey yards. Occasionally throw down some barn lime if it gets to stinky and they do the rest. Its some rich ****, no joke.