DIY Compost Bin ideas

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I throw everything in with the chickens and compost using Deep Litter. Weeds, grass clilpings, dead leaves, small branches, everything gets thrown in there, and the chickens do all the stirring. In the spring, I put it in the garden, and start over. Just make sure you get some moisture in there as needed. A good compost pile helps the chickens feet warm in the winter. :D

Jeffeff95

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just got a few pallets screwed together. Good nuff compost bin. Sometimes ill make a circle with 2×4 fence wire and fill that with stuff closer to the garden. Seems the fance wire has made the best compost

Yeah I was thinking of using the spare Pallets I have around the yard. The fence wire sounds interesting though. Do you ever cover it with anything?

Jeffeff95

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nope. And i dont turn often either. Usually takes a whole season for me to get finished compost. But i work full time and have 4 kids AND a homestead so we do what we can.

Same here (minus the 4 kids lol) If it takes all season that's okay with me.

Jeffeff95

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here ya go. I dug up a link

Appreciate the link!
When I get home today I will look at it.
I went on the weekend to see if I could salvage that barrel I seen on my yard the previous owner left.
Turned out to be an old fuel barrel so I have decided against that idea lol.