DIY Laundry Detergent Victory!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I make 4 gallons at a time, keeping it in a 5 gallon bucket on the floor. I keep a quart jar on top of the dryer full of detergent that I dip out as needed.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
abifae said:
There's a thread around on how to make your own washing soda. You basically low heat bake your baking soda.
Abi, if I remember it right, the temperature in the initial directions was C, not F...I think she corrected it in a later post, something like 500 degrees F. (but I've slept since then, too) :D But you're right, there's a thread somewhere.

I'm lucky, the little local market carries everything I need.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Just putting a plug in for the powdered version. It is soooo much easier to make, and it doesn't clog up --it dissolves nicely. I tried the liquid homemade vierion once. then back to the powdered version. I make enough to last me a whole year. For the same amount of amoney it woud cost me for one month of storebought. Can't beat the price!!!!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just found my post on here from 2009.
Here's what I use:

Washing Powder
2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda (box will say Arm & Hammer in big letters, washing soda in small letters)
1 cup colour safe bleach
1 bar laundry soap.

I make enough so that the whole box of borax is used--I think I use 4 bars of soap total. My whites stay white, but I still use spray and wash for stains. (mainly because 4 years ago, I bought a huge jug of it, and haven't used it all. I usually only have to spot treat my whites and lights. My whites are still white after two years of using this recipe.

My first batch was the liquid, I felt it was alot of work for no real benefit, other than having to store big containers of it, and thus having to make it more often. the powdered version works well for me, and I have a front loader. It has never gunked up my machine. I don't use fabric softener, will use vinegar only when using the dryer, which would only be in the winter, if at all. The trick to having static free clothing coming out of the dryer is to not run it so long. There is a point between damp and over drying, where the clothes will come out static free.

I also make it once a year, and the total cost for a years worth of laundry soap is~$12. Fits my frugal nature

edited to add: I don't know whether the colour safe bleash is necessary, but I use it anyways.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
OOooo, I am running low on my homemade liquid. I might have to try the powder... Yay! :D

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wait....isn't bleach a liquid? So, is your powder not really a powder or is it just that late for me?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
They have powered color safe bleach.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Might be too late for you :D you can buy colour safe bleach that is a powder. I do know tha it is too late for me to want to go and check the name brand, but it is a powder.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
A lot of people love the powder recipe over on the Soapmakers Help thread at BYC. I have never liked powdered in my washer (doesn't dissolve it all) so didn't try that recipe.

We figure we save tons of money making that laundry soap instead of buying. When I pass up those expensive bottles in the market with the fancy schmancy ingredients (what in the heck IS that stuff?) I just smirk.