DIY sprinkler-stand upgrade

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm posting an update to the two sprinkler-stand base threads I've posted here on S.S. (The other thread is here: https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/a-new-sprinkler-stand-base-i-made.14091/ )

I thought of a refinement that would make my sprinklers more versatile, and make managing the sprinklers just a shade easier for us. We usually are wanting to use one of two types of sprinkling heads. One is an "impact" type, which shoots out a strong pulsed stream of water, tending to throw it quite a ways, but not casting much water onto the soil nearer the sprinkler stand. The other is locally called a "butterfly" type, which spreads an umbrella of soft rain-like water, but has a smaller radius of effect.

Using galvanized steel fittings to allow me to connect hose snap-on couplers onto the upright pipe of a stand and also onto the sprinkler head itself. Hence the sprinkler heads become easily interchangeable in a matter of seconds.
IMG_1197.JPG

The "Butterfly" is on the left, "Impact" on the right. You can see one part of the quick-couple (hose-type coupler) attached to each.
IMG_1196.jpg

Each of the heads is shown attached to the top of the sprinkler pipe.
IMG_1195.jpg

I've got two sprinkler stands for our larger garden, and can exchange among several heads to get what we need at a particular time of the specific portion of the garden.

I think it's pretty likely that some company or another has mass produced an attachment system like the one I've made, but I haven't seen it for sale in the local farmers' or gardeners' supply stores. Anyhow, I do enjoy DIY.

Last edited:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Really great stand and attachment setup you designed and built, sturdy and built to last unlike the cheap plastic junk nowadays.
Oh man, do I agree about the 'plastic junk'! :tongue Useless.

As I said above, I'm guessing that some company has come out with snap-in-place connectors specifically for sprinkler heads on galvanized pipestands. If they have, then the set-up would not involve as many small parts as I figured out and made use of. I relied on my familiarity with common components, plus common sense.

But if manufacturers are cranking-out something, they don't distribute the gizmos to the retailers I shop at.

Latest posts