dma's miscellaneousness

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used to be one of those that thought this was all crazy paranoia. Not anymore. I don't know if its age, wisdom or experience, or perhaps a combination of the three and then some that has pushed me in this direction. I have a feeling deep in my gut, one that I cannot describe, compelling me to get ready. For what, I haven't a clue. I just know enough to listen to that feeling and do what it says to do. Its kind of like the nesting syndrome mothers get. I just have this urge to start storing and learning ways to take care of my family without the help of corporations or "others". Maybe its my resentment of the giant monopolizing corporations that seem to consume and control us. Maybe it's because I have a sense of being swallowed up by something really big.

I experienced some traumatic events surrounding the birth of my daughter that might be the root of these "crazy" feelings. Facing homelessness with a prematurely born infant can do a number on you. I have not been back to work since I lost my job about mid-way through my pregnancy. Before that, I was self-supported. I have a (now) supportive family that is willing to support us while I work my way through college. I never went when I was young, I just went to work and put it off till..... whenever. As my mom says, we're doing it right this time. We're getting me through school so I'll better be able to take care of myself and my daughter in the future.

I have not had an easy life. It has been unstable a lot of the time and really fun at the same time. I'm an adventurer, an mischief maker, strong willed, tempermental, bright, funny and caring person raised by two (or three, depends on how you count it) narcissists. I was never part of my family's head count from the time I was about 11 or 12. They just seemed to move along with or without me, I was sorta left to fend for myself and only as a last resort was I allowed to live with them, and then I was reminded every day that I was not wanted there. I never understood why my mother hated me so much.

Back to present day......

I am very lucky to be a single, stay-at-home-mom (sahm), college student at the ripe old age of ..... well, over 30. My family has healed a great deal and we sometimes face our past together and try to make it better. Its tough but effective.

As for stocking up, getting prepared, whatever you want to call it; I'm completely new to this. I'm only begining to seek out information. I imagine at some point I'll incorporate this into my education as a science major. I have a lot of ideas about it all that are floating around in my head but have yet been able to organize them, prioritize them and put them into action. The closest I ever got was buying in bulk. Cause it was fun. And may've been part of my subconcious shift towards preparedness.

I started this journal as a place to start to organize my thoughts and ideas for survival preparedness. I hope I keep up with it.

I've taken on this preparedness task for my household family. I consider my daughter and myself to be one family unit. My mother and step-father I consider to be part of the larger part of our family. It is important for our wellbeing that I maintain these boundaries within the household. So, when I think of how many I need to prepare for, I count four, not just two. They've given me so much the past few years, and to tell the truth, it's not in me to not include those around me; just not in my nature.

The first thing that comes to mind is that I've gotta have enough for four. Enough of what? Well, food? supplies? suplies for what? what are the possibilities?.......see where I get lost now?

Finding a starting point just became first on the list.......

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Well, you have come to the right place. I too am just starting on a path to SS. I have learned a lot of valuable info from some very knowledgeable folks here. I finally started my journal too and am very excited about this new direction.

Best wishes to you, we're right here with you.

Mike

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. That's very kind :)

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The first step towards preparedness I was able to get approved by the powers that be (Mom and Step-dad) is CHICKENS!! Yep! After a year of threatening/convincing, I got the go-ahead. Yessssss!

They needed a coop. So I got out a piece of paper and drew them one. Ok, I sketched it. Figured out what I wanted and drew something up. I wanted it six feet tall, at least that long and not quite as wide. We went down to Home Depot (I used to work for HD in one of their local offices, but that's a different story) found some 2x2's and had them cut to the lengths I wanted. Got nails, whatever looked like it would work and went home to start building. Oh. My. God. Who knew it could be so hard to get some lousy boards to stay together?!?! The day ended with two hammer-throws and a string of cuss-words and a promise of help later in the week. The helper never did come help. The helper just wants to be left alone to sleep and go outside and smoke. Whatever.

Two weeks go by and my chickens still have no place to roost but the fence. At least they figured that part out.

Oh, did I not mention that I brought home two chickens before even obtaining the materials to build a coop? Well, I did. I now know this to be mistake number one. By the time I had anything built I had six chickens total. Two half grown pullets and four chicks that desperately needed to get out of the kitchen.

One weekend I got a hair and went out back and busted my hump to get something, anything, put together for them from what materials I had out in the yard. I got together an A-frame 6x6 that now encloses its third set of chicks. I have a total of seven right now. One should-be-laying-if-it-weren't-for-the season BO, two PR, two EE, one RIR or PR, and one GSL. Ages in that order. Oldest is about 6mos, youngest are about 2wks. Mom sprung for a small coop and now we have that and the pen. I've been rolling things around in this brain of mine on how to expand on the pen and incorporate that with the little coop for a more secure enclosure.

Last weekend I got the desire to go out and clean up the backyard. It had been left messy from my attempts at building and since then the leaves have started falling and it was just a mess. I mainly just moved things around and made it look neater. The only thing I didn't do was rake. Which I might go do in a little bit since it just rained and won't stir up as much stuff. I didn't get to the raking this weekend bc I broke out in hives and had to go in and get that under control. I have a terrible problem with hives and have been ER'd for it several times and nearly died from it once. And, NO, I don't know what causes it, there is no specific, trackable cause. It happens inside, outside, in the mall, in the hobby store,in the house, in the yard, at your house, at their house, in town, out of town, but not every time in any one place. I even used to ride horses through fields and woods without breaking out. Well, once I did but it wasn't bad.

My plan for the chickens is to get them all ready to start laying in late spring/early summer, maybe do some culling this time next year and sorta start the process all over again. At the same time, I'll be making those coop improvements.

I don't know much about the farmers market so I don't really intend to sell there. This is mostly to give us something, even if just a tiny something, that is truly ours and didn't come from the store.

As far as stocking up on foods, cans, dry goods, etc.... I have so many questions..... I better go rake the yard while there's still some daylight and everythings wet.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome

Sorry about the hives. That sounds horrible.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and writing about your progress, thoughts, etc.

One of the good things about chickens is they don't care what their shelter looks like, they'll still lay eggs. :D

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Marianne said:
One of the good things about chickens is they don't care what their shelter looks like, they'll still lay eggs. :D
:yuckyuck and true!!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Welcome dma! I broke out in hives for unknown reasons for over 30 years. An allergist put me on Allegra during the day and atarax at night which squelched the hives but I still had no idea what was causing them. I recently figured out it is a wheat allergy. Don't know if that helps or if you have other considerations.

There are plenty of us here and we are all at different "scenic overlooks" along the road. For sure it will be an interesting journey anyway! I'm glad you are journaling!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey dma, :welcome

Have enjoyed reading your journal so far, keep it up.

Theres no motivation like being a mom,your daughter is as blessed to have you,as you are to have her.

Lots of great, smart people here to help you on your way to a SS lifestyle.