dma's miscellaneousness

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm having a lot of fun reading all of your as well :)

Yep, we're all going to have a lot of fun together :D

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So much to catch up on.....

The coop is half finished! Well, its going to be more of a run that includes shelter. I've repurposed the frame of this tent-like structure that once occupied our backyard and am using it as the main structure and frame of the enclosure. Why haden't I thought of this earlier!!!! OMG! I could've had this thing finished MONTHS ago! I sweated and cursed out there nailing 2x2's together at their corners and trying to get my mother to understand what "hold it still but let it move with me or as I move it" means (more on her in a minute), while literally stepping around the deconstructed metal frame. How. Stupid. Well that took about an hour for me and my step-father (sf) to assemble. {It was a great moment for me. We were doing something that we both would do with each other's corresponding role but can't for varying reasons. My father lives in another state and he doesn't have any children of his own. We've always had trife between us but have recently begun to mend, so this was a nice thing to happen for us. However late in life it happened.}

In the meantime I ordered a drill online and have been waiting for it to get here. Today, it got here! Yay!! I'm so excited! It wasn't expected until the 9th so this was a great surprise. Except for a couple of things- Mom promised herself to me this weekend (Saurday) to help me finish it up since we thought I'd have the drill by now. When I found out it wouldn't be here till the 9th that was out. Since then, my aunt from out of town called and asked my mom to attend a family meeting in Lafayette on Saturday regarding my grandmother. My grandmother and grandfather (step-grandfather, but my Parrain)(Parrain is French for Godfather, we're Cajun remember?) were moved out onto my aunt and uncle's (no "step" there) about 5 years ago. They're getting on in age and needed looking after and my aunt took on the task of moving them so she could look after them. Lately, my grandmother has been sick, so sick she's going to sleep in bed during the day. My Parrain has a few health issues too. Between the two of them, they're quite delicate, health-wise. They both ride on the cusp of healthy and disaster. Anyhow, my aunt is pissed that no one does anything but her, and wants everyone to help more but she doesnt ever call to ask or to say what needs to be done, my grandmother is hiding her illnesses and ailments, anyone can see the dynamics here...... I'm just so happy that my mom won't be here to "help" me finish the chicken coop/enclosure on Saturday. She never understands what I tell her that I want done, gets all b*tchy about it and starts snapping at me that she doesn't understand, tries to interject her idea of what I need to do ("see, I was thinking if we did it this way..."), and two days later comes to me to tell me to do what I told her two days ago that I was trying to do..... Sf and I didn't have that issue. We looked it over, knew what to do, one took the lead without fighting about it, and it got done.

Maybe by this time next week the enclosure will be finished and I can sit out there and watch my chickens being happy chickens. And happy chickens they are! Chickie-Lou has layed a total of 13 eggs so far. Shes getting good at it; she comes in the house with a ruckus, I put her in her nest/pet carrier, and shes done in 10. Who else has a chicken that lays eggs in their kitchen? I love her. Shes taken on the role of flock-leader and elder.

Im having the best time learning about these guys. Chickens are intelligent, warm and funny creatures. I love how they work together, teach each other and care for each other. It might at first appear to be brutality, but pecking order is as essential to them as is food and water. Two nights ago I hosted my bookclubs meeting here at home and while we were having wine and snacks, I forgot to put the chickens to bed and bring in the parakeet. It was 9pm before I went out there and that was only to give the tour to my guests. All five were in the bin that usually just three are in. Chickie and the red juvies sleep in the bin and the two babies get put in the hutch at night. Even though the teen-aged rooster pecks and harasses the babies all day, constantly checking them, there they were, all cuddled up together. Last night Chickie had one of the babies under her wing as they all slept.