Do you butcher your own pigs? How do you store the meat?

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First off Welcome-:frow

We process hogs every year and yes you can cure both ways (wet or dry) and smoking is really very easy lots of info for that on the web. As for storage we freeze it all, sure you could hang,if you have a place that is dry and cool. Now that might not be hard to find this time of year, but what about when it warms up this spring, oh what about bugs? This too isn't a big problem now except for spiders(hate those 8 legged lil so and so's)
I believe for me it's the freezer.

1littlefarmer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
deb4o said:
First off Welcome-:frow

We process hogs every year and yes you can cure both ways (wet or dry) and smoking is really very easy lots of info for that on the web. As for storage we freeze it all, sure you could hang,if you have a place that is dry and cool. Now that might not be hard to find this time of year, but what about when it warms up this spring, oh what about bugs? This too isn't a big problem now except for spiders(hate those 8 legged lil so and so's)
I believe for me it's the freezer.
Thank you. That's kind of what I was hoping to hear. Do you find that freezing for an extended period affects the flavor and/or the texture of the cured meat?

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No we find that the meat holds very well, we have had hams in the deep freeze for over a year.( The bacon NEVER makes it that long.)

The flavor and texture are fine.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I must agree on freezing. We butcher a couple hogs each year and we freeze all our meat.

Latest posts