1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Pallet Boards - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Do you grow fruit trees or berry bushes?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by mythreesons290322, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Mar 8, 2018
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

I'm going to try to root them. Never done it before tho. With roots would be awesome

2. Mar 8, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Almost Self-Reliant

OK. PM your address to me. And I hope you'll take lots of pictures and post them here. I think there an old post here about starting your own trees.

sumi likes this.
  3. Mar 9, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

@Chic Rustler I just stuck some cuttings in the ground a couple days ago...IF they root I'll save one for ya. I'm afraid it might be too late this year - but I don't have any experience at this so I tried it anyway, lol!

Chic Rustler likes this.
  4. Mar 9, 2018
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

5. Mar 10, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Almost Self-Reliant

Just a FYI for those planting fig trees. I was reading on www.foodiegardener.com (Grow Fig Trees 101) that fig tree roots "spread far and wide and can become invasive". I've never tried it, but apparently they do well in pots. It might be something to try for those of us with limited space.

sumi likes this.
  6. Mar 10, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

If you bend the sprouts by the ground, pen them down, cover with dirt -- they will sprout roots. At least that was what happened at a neighbor's house.

My other friend has these two HUGE trees -- they are about 20 yrs old -- of figs. Way past a bush, you need a ladder to pick them at the top. She is my "I get the figs, you get free eggs" person. :D Can't wait for the season -- last year's are all gone from my dehydrating. YUM!! She doesn't like them & her DH eats about a handful, then done with them. Took her 2.5dz yesterday --- she gave me another batch of collards, cooking today (plus pulled stems for goats). Next week, she'll get some free fertilizer.... chickens, goats, horses, you know I have plenty. Shame we don't live next door.:clap

I'm on the prowl for raspberry vines, blackberry would be nice too. Have plenty of wild but, would like larger fruit.

:hide So, does this mean we won't get that recipe? Or just that it was HER secret one? :idunno :drool

7. Mar 10, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I wouldn't consider that a problem, lol. But, I've had fig trees all my life and I've never seen one send out shoots and start a whole new tree. Don't know if there is a certain variety that is more prone to that??

However, when I was trimming my big tree I did find some branches so low they were touching the ground that had sprouted a few very fine, hair-like roots. Unfortunately, I had ripped them out of the ground before I even knew they were trying to root. Argh!

8. Mar 10, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

When we had our garden nursery we used to pin down shoots from some of the rambling plants by placing stones on top of the shoots, where they touched the ground. That encouraged them to grow roots from the shoots, which we then cut off and bagged up as new plants.

9. Apr 15, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

I have two raspberry plants, one blackberry plant, four strawberry plants and some cape gooseberry seeds in the ground.

10. Apr 15, 2018
    BarredBuff

BarredBuff El Presidente de Pollo

I spent yesterday morning removing dead weeds, and dead canes from blackberry patch. It should've been done a long time ago, but that's what happens when you put everything on hold for four years. I do have plenty of canes to bear this year, and they are hardy so I expect they will come back well. I rediscovered some rhubarb that I was pretty sure had been killed out. I am marking it to move in the fall.

sumi and Wannabefree like this.