Do you have a "can't believe I never thought of this" idea?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I was just searching the net for a recipe for something to sprinkle on the apples I'm planning to dry to make a little change from plain when I saw this idea- it was wow so obvious yet I never thought of it.

This lady uses her car that is parked in a sunny spot to dehydrate her fruit. She puts the fruit on cookie sheets and places them on the dashboard of her car with the windows rolled up. She said it might take a couple of days to dry.

So do you have one?

I have one of my own- I put whole lemons I buy in bulk when the prices are good in the freezer without peeling them. Then take them out as I need them- just a few seconds in the microwave and you have a nice juicy lemon for cooking or lemonaide- no freeze taste or dessication.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was supprised to see that my husband does this with corn. Takes it and places it on the dashboard of his old truck and turns it every day until it's dry. Something he learned from his dad.

I do have moments like that but can't remember one at this time.

My sister is really good for coming up with great ways of doing things.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was making kindling with the extra limbs the other day and using my knees. They started to hurt so I used the cutting horse to leverage the limbs and break them. :lol: Now I'm smarter and my knees can heal.

Helena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I got a small dish drainer, which fits in the sink. Luckily, I have a double sink. The drips go down the drain. No more mess, and I don't have to raise my arm so high to put the dishes in the drainer.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I keep the dish drainer in the sink too. Works well.

I like the kitchen utensils that I use constantly on the counter top especially knives but hated those knife holders that took up so much space and needs to be aimed at to get the knife in the little slot. So I keep a pitcher on the counter filled with old white rice and just put the knives in that with the tips pointed down. Have had the same rice in ther for 7 years. Keeps the knives from hitting each other or the ceramic pitcher, can put many more in a smaller place than with a knive holder and can change the pitcher when I want a different color. It's a great use for a slightly crached or chipped pitcher too.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
This is the first year I thought to feed (non-organic) apple peelings and cores to the horses. I've always composted them (even after getting chickens, as I'm not sure I really want pesticide residues concentrated in my eggs). I do not think it really matters if the horses get a periodic soupcon of apple spray chemicals, however, and they sure do like it!

I got a bushel of Northern Spies today to can for pie filling, so the horses will be getting another treat this weekend :)

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey Pat -- about that. What about the apple seeds? Don't they contain cyanide or something similar? I thought about giving apple cores to my neighbor's horses, but I didn't because of that. What is your thought?

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The apple seeds aren't going to hurt the horses. (I wouldn't feed them a bushel of them.) You'd have to have alot of apple seeds. Because the horses are so large. Don't give the seeds and cores to your chickens it will kill them.

I got tired of sharpening my knives because of them hitting each other in the drawer. So I went to a hardware store and bought me a magnet that mounts on the wall. (You might find one at Harbor Freight). Now my knives are where I can get to them easily and are staying sharper.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks coopy. I probably had 1 or 1 1/2 gallon of cores/seeds. Next time I will feed the horses.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Someone had mentioned boiling water on their wood stove to preserve it for emergencies.
Made me think of something I have done for years that is really handy.
Whenever I have water boiling to make hard boiled eggs or pasta, I take the hot water and pour it on the weeds that are in the gravel driveway.
Hot water is a useful way to kill weed that are in hard to remove areas like gravel- for hard weeds like dock, I simply pour in one spot for as long as the hot water holds out.