Do you have a guilty pleasure?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
big brown horse said:
Why do all of you think BOOKs are a guilty pleasure? Books are a pleasure!! Or is it the purchase of new books when you should be on a budget.

AND POPTARTS!!! :ep Shameful!!
I used to spend alot of money on new paperbacks and such.(magazines,hard cover books) Its really the only splurge for myself...but I was spending quite a chunk. But then I happened upon a paperback swap/shop where they give you credit for what books you bring in and you use it toward the used books you buy that are already 1/2 half or even less. So now for $20 I am set for the month! (I read at least 2 books a week, I dont watch TV much) I used to spend up to $100 plus...:th And I handle my books with lots of love, hehe..I throw them in my backpack,on my front porch table..you get the picture.
So I never got them from the library.... I am rough with books.
Gee! Now I am craving a Blueberry Poptart!
That little rascal, now he has us craving POPTARTS! :barnie I didn't know they made Blurberry!

ETA, I typed "blurberry" and I think it is funny, so I am going to leave it ther. :D

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Dulche de Leche? Cinnamon roll ? Not fair!!!!!! Now I am really craving poptarts!!! And forget Blurberry now!!!! :drool

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Dark chocolate, especially 5-lb bags of Ghirardelli choc chips :) Good food, great garden seeds, quality shoes (especially summer sandals) and MEN magazine (I try not to get magazines, just look at them at the library).

Plus, I start hobbies that take up-front money but really try to make them pay--chickens, turkeys, meat birds, bees, basketry, CSA gardening, etc.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Dark chocolate, especially 5-lb bags of Ghirardelli choc chips :) Good food, great garden seeds, quality shoes (especially summer sandals) and MEN magazine (I try not to get magazines, just look at them at the library).

Plus, I start hobbies that take up-front money but really try to make them pay--chickens, turkeys, meat birds, bees, basketry, CSA gardening, etc.
I always have Ghirardelli chips in my fridge, tucked away where no one knows they're there but me.....

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
More like an addiction, but liquid flavored coffee creamer for my coffee. I have been trying to get it out of my diet for a couple years and keep coming back to it. I know it's full of bad stuff, but I love it. I have cut back quite a bit.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Javamama said:
More like an addiction, but liquid flavored coffee creamer for my coffee. I have been trying to get it out of my diet for a couple years and keep coming back to it. I know it's full of bad stuff, but I love it. I have cut back quite a bit.
I used to love the powdered stuff <yikes> then I saw the episode of Myth Busters where they ignited large amounts of it and created an enormous fire ball. I figured that might be why my gut felt so lousy all the time and I was able to go cold turkey!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My farm critters-they cost way more than it would cost just to buy meat and eggs and milk from the stores. When i see one for sale and I like it and have the money and have room for it I have to get it. I literally cannot stop myself. I'll be thinking that we don't need it, have too much already, and it will cost that much more to feed as I am handing over the last of my money. Fortunately, I do have limits, if I don't have room for it or the time for it I won't get it. That is the only way I can stop myself, and since we have moved to such a small area, I am really going through withdrawls, especially since I had to sell almost everything to come here. It's the same way with plants in the spring, I try not to get too many, but I just can't help it! I think it's an addiction.