Do you have a minimum below which ...

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we need to switch brains.....................

i steal your saying and you steal mine

but hey

lets micro manage this down to stupid *with coupons* and then shop the expensive down to cheap. you like?

FarmerChick said:
;)

my entire goal in life....shop the expensive down to cheap..

THAT SUMMED it up for me also. that is a good saying. I am going to use that :lol:

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Food is the one place I don't go very cheap. I love good food, and using coupons and shopping sales allows us to eat quite well without having to resort to pre-packaged crappy foods.

We buy all our clothes at thrift stores so that we can get nicer brand names for a lot less money. We do buy some of Aeryn's new clothes at Walmart, even if something does happen to the clothes Walmart will replace them if she hasn't outgrown the clothes.

Most household stuff and baby stuff we buy used... there's no way I could afford a new stroller, crib, dressers, etc. and the used stuff we've found on kijiji are better than anything we could have afforded new.

my entire goal in life....shop the expensive down to cheap......shop out of season and shop with coupons. that is the best way to get the quality products at the cheaper price..
This is what we do too... especially with bigger things... bought a snowblower in April, bought a lawnmower in December, etc.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
haha love it you can cut the snow in december and blow leaves, dirt and sand in april with your snowblower..

IM LOVING THE MENTAL YOU JUST GAVE ME

hwillm1977 said:
Food is the one place I don't go very cheap. I love good food, and using coupons and shopping sales allows us to eat quite well without having to resort to pre-packaged crappy foods.

We buy all our clothes at thrift stores so that we can get nicer brand names for a lot less money. We do buy some of Aeryn's new clothes at Walmart, even if something does happen to the clothes Walmart will replace them if she hasn't outgrown the clothes.

Most household stuff and baby stuff we buy used... there's no way I could afford a new stroller, crib, dressers, etc. and the used stuff we've found on kijiji are better than anything we could have afforded new.

my entire goal in life....shop the expensive down to cheap......shop out of season and shop with coupons. that is the best way to get the quality products at the cheaper price..
This is what we do too... especially with bigger things... bought a snowblower in April, bought a lawnmower in December, etc.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
haha love it you can cut the snow in december and blow leaves, dirt and sand in april with your snowblower..

IM LOVING THE MENTAL YOU JUST GAVE ME
You should see the looks you get in line at the hardware store when you're buying a lawnmower during a snowstorm and everyone else in line is holding shovels :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This one made me think....Hmm, cheap or frugal? I like to think myself as frugal...so as not to make myself "sound cheap" LOL Yard sales...store sales, thrift stores...definitely. Foods? well....we really do not buy much...coffee...is one area I will NOT skimp on, it is Folgers all the way! I will however go online, and coupon beg, LOL Clothes? Well, every once in a while....I will spend a few dollars on an "on sale item" new. Shoes, boots....I will not skimp too much...your feet are worth as much as your health. Household items, I can't remember when was the last time I bought something new for the house. We barter for almost everything....and I mean, even down to firewood. Have not bought firewood since we started using the wood stove. I will pay for "cheap labor" Getting the neighbor kids to help out once in a while for a few dollars. We really are pretty blessed, having been able to get most everything we "need" for free, or barter.
Our list of "freebies" in the last 5 yrs..

4 riding lawn mowers, all working.
2 flat bed trailers. ( good to excellent shape)
1948 Ford 8 N tractor ( works great)
Every year, at least 15 ricks of firewood
2 wood stoves ( bought the newest one for 1/2 price, worth the money)
various animals, chickens, turkeys, ducks,goose, my dairy goat(1 yr old in milk) Donkey, sheep(had 5, down to 2)
9 - #10 cans of wheat berries
various cases of canning jars ( probably 200 jars total)
Building materials...wood, shingles, etc.
several times I was able to get free feed for the animals...gleaning fields.

I am not bragging....just letting everyone know...it is out there, to be had...you have to dig to find gold....even if your gold is a hand full of shovels....for free.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I don't go cheap on food that matters. Or when it's too expensive and I still want high quality, we grow/raise it ourselves.

I don't go cheap on shoes, either. I get super high quality, hopefully lifetime warranty, and run them into the ground.

If we need something to run well and last a long time, we don't go cheap on it.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, it sounds as though I posed the wrong question .... but all of you answered the right one anyway :lol:
Apparently for many/most of us the *minimum* below which we will not go is quality not price ... and we will do everything possible to get the price for our quality as low as possible :lol:
Good for us! That, I think, is the essence of being frugal, and not *cheap*

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you know every time I did really go cheap, that nagging voice in my head would say, hey cough up X dollars more for this better one, and I didn't and ALWAYS, the stupid thing would break, not work easy, be a pain in the butt gadget vs. a useful/helpful gadget. I spent alot on truly cheap junk of my years and wish I had that money back now :lol: