Do you have a minimum below which ...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Because I grew up wearing hand me downs that I hated, I WON'T buy from thrift stores. To me, it's too much like hand me downs, if that makes any sense. But then again, I very rarely buy clothing. And, when I do, I'll wear it to death. I just bought 2 new pairs of jeans for $20.00 each. They were the right size, the right cut, and the right material. I have a couple of pairs of older jeans that I like to wear in the summer when I'm on the bike. I won't wear shorts, and this way, my legs are still covered, but my jeans are now air conditioned. If they get too bad, then they become shorts. I get too many pairs of shorts, I decide which ones I like the best, and get rid of the rest.

Depending on the shirt, long sleeved button down shirts will become short sleeved shirts. And, depending on how the sleeves are, they may even become sleeveless.

I rarely wear t-shirts. But, they'll go from good, to everyday to rags and/or cleaning cloths.

Recently, I bought a new pair of rubber boots. They're a different style than the ones they replaced. But, they were 1/4 of the price. Plus, w/the way the other ones were made, they were constantly wearing holes in my socks. I can't afford to be buying new socks all the time. The old boots are great w/heavy socks during the winter, but that's about it. So, I've kept them.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We shop at thrift stores and I know my hubby gets embarrassed sometimes if I buy clothes but that's just his own snobby prejudice!! The kids have yet to protest and my oldest is 13. She looks at it as getting more clothes for her dollar and at least where we live, wearing trendy clothes or not doesn't have the make or break power they had when I was a kid during the 80's-early 90's. The kids around here seem to embrace diversity and you don't see hard lines between cliques.

We also yard sale when weather permits and I use that to pick up household goods. Not sure, with the rampant bedbug issues in the metro area, that I would ever feel comfortable buying used upholstered furniture. Leather maybe, if I knew the seller. I've heard too many horror stories about how folks homes became infested and they ended up tossing their stuff or paying a fortune to have their place fumigated repeatedly.

As for tools or any piece of equipment or machinery that needs to have a long lifespan, we'll pay top dollar for a reliable brand. I look at that kinda stuff as an investment.

I do shop at Aldi's and have no problem buying generic as long as it tastes good. We only have a few items that we're brand specific about and most of that prejudice comes from trial and error over the years. That and my DH is a snob and will ONLY use Irish Spring soap!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol:

that is the only soap my one brother will use. I think the Irish soap has a very very strong smell. I can smell my bro coming a mile away. something in that soap just knocks me over :gig

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
:lol:

that is the only soap my one brother will use. I think the Irish soap has a very very strong smell. I can smell my bro coming a mile away. something in that soap just knocks me over :gig
We use that stuff to keep deer out of the gardens :)

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
you will not go? Secondary to another post on another thread I'd like to ask what, if any, minimum you might have? I mean, is saving money the only criteria, or do you have places in your life where the cheapest is too cheap? As I mentioned on the other thread, after my DH was diagnosed with 3 separate cancers, all within 6 months, I found that *cheap* was less important to me than *healthy*. Now, I have long bought butter rather than margarine (as one example), so in that regard I have already had a *minimum* below which I don't wish to go. But after he got sick I started becoming more aware of how food affects our health, and I am more likely now to spend more money on better food, but perhaps not buy as much of it; cutting back on quantity of meat, for example, and going more for quality.

How about you?
I do have minimums -

*butter not margarine, prefer fresh butter that I make
*Canning jars have to be made in USA not china like those thin cheapie BH jars that walmart carried this past year...
* farm fresh eggs - not store bought (we have our own chickens but when they are not laying I will not buy cheapo eggs)
*not many convenience foods are allowed here
*Excedrin migraine for headaches... :D

I don't like name brand peanut butter- I prefer Kroger over anything...and it has to be creamy. lol

I am sure there are others...

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It used to amaze me that people I knew would cut the food budget first thing when money got tight.
I mean, food is your FUEL. All the critters get good food as well.
Everything else is yard sales, auctions, thrift stores, trade & scrounging.
There are some things I won't buy used.....underwear, socks, pillows, matresses.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll only buy one brand of sour cream. All the others have stuff added to them.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hope you and your hubby are feeling better....
I think it is much harder when you have kids...
my hubby...is easy going and happy...
ask him what he want for dinner and he will say something tasty...
...lots of things...with getting in bulk ect...the major cost actually is my time...and effort
I really just try and avoid shopping...
I think the first way to save is actually to spend...
have tools...so you don't rely on others
spend on a canner dehydrator..freezer...and vacume packager...
so to cut down on waste...
I know we aren't in the same health conscious mode as you...
but we feel
going back to nature...knowing where the source of it all comes from...
works 4.us...
when I do buy...I try and make my decision based on quality...
very much prefer the cheap price...but could cost way more in the long run...
also...just organizing and saving stuff...rather than throwing..out...
ok call it like it is pack ratting...with the cost buying a part...really does save lots...

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We spend more for better quality tools, equipment, etc. We paid full price for a new riding mower - the one DH wanted just doesn't ever go on sale. At some point, you have to draw the line and not spend more money repairing something that's pretty worn out.

But I am cheap when it comes to the grocery store. I don't buy meat unless it's on sale, buy seasonal fruit/veggies. I'll buy store brand oatmeal, but spend more for better breads, butter instead of margarine. Indoor critters get name brand chow, some raw meat (dogs) or homemade stuff, but outdoor cats get el cheapo cat food mixed w/ an egg or whatever. They have the opportunity to hunt for what they need. Hens get scratch grains (no layer feed), but they generally free range daily.

I don't feel the least bit guilty about not buying organic veggies. I have a good sized garden (no chemicals allowed), preserve what I can, make as much as I can from scratch. I just won't pay $3.50 for an organic bell pepper.

And if the budget was really tight? Yes, the grocery bill is the first thing to get pared down. We can eat cheaper, yet still somewhat healthy (beans instead of meat) and having pancakes or fried potatoes and eggs for supper occasionally is okay. Keeping bellies filled and using the $$ to keep the power on is important.

JMO, I'm not dogging anyone who feels differently. :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope you and your hubby are feeling better....
Thank you, cheepo. Yes, we are. His cancers were in 2007, and, so far, all his tests and scans have been coming back negative. But, we are both getting older, and ... well ... *things happen*. We have seen it with ourselves, and also with our friends. So I do what I can, nutritionally, to balance the scales in our favor ;) (Unfortunately, my cooking wasn't able to keep him from falling and breaking his ankle a couple of months ago! But he'll get over that too, with a bit more time)