Do you have name brands you are loyal to?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I am brand loyal on a few things

I only use Playtex tampons. Good thing getting older now means I have to buy less and less and hopefully none soon! :)

Heinz ketchup (but I think I will look into making my own---see how easy or hard?)

Kraft mayo
Lea&Perrins Worcestershire sauce
LaChoy soy sauce
A-1 Steak Sauce

WOW I can't think of anything else. I will try store brands on anything but the above. After experimenting, these are the best to me.

One thing I want to do is really use less store bought products. I am working on that!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Anyone make their own ketchup, their own mayonnaise, their own dressings?

just wondering
I have printed out recipes to try the ketchup, but have never gotten around to it. I make dressing for salad occasionally.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sufficient
post the ketchup one for me.

here is mayo.

it is sooooo simple to make it is insane. makes a small amt. that will last for 1 week in the fridge. I am definitey making this tomorrow and see how I like it. Beats store bought price anyday cause we all have leftover eggs don't we....LOL

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/43/Homemade-Mayonnaise

so few ingredients and we know it will be so much healthier versus the chemicals in store bought. one more step to SS!

anyone who tries this let me know!!!!!!

mom'sfolly

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hellman's Mayo
Tide
Simply Orange
ob tampons
dry idea pit stuff
crest

dh mennon pit stuff

That's it, except if I buy fish. I make fish buying somewhat complicated because I think alot of the farm raised fish are not raised in an environmentally sound, natural fisheries friendly way. So I buy mostly wild caught, American produced fish, and when I buy farm raised I look at where it is produced. One of the things the government really is trying to get a handle on is sustainable fishing, and they seem to be getting it mostly right.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Definitely Heinz ketchup. Nothing else tastes right!
Tampax Tampons
Newman's Own sandwich cookies
Newman's Own Northern Italian salad dressing
Newman's Own or the new Orville Redenbacher Natural microwave popcorn.
That's about it. I used to say Campbell's soups but now we're avoiding the MSG. I used to only buy Hellman's Mayo but now I like Whole Foods organic mayo too.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Dillon Precision Products - Extreme quality reloading equipment, and just darn nice people.

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasonings and Spices

Cold Steel Knives - High Quality

KC Masterpiece Barbecue Sauce

Leon's Army Navy & Outdoor Store in Gulfport, MS. - Not a brand per se, but I've never seen anyone stand behind his store items more or do more to make customers happy. I wouldn't purchase surplus anywhere else.

Yes, and Heinz ketchup too.

Now, let's see... Guns, knives, Military Surplus, Seasoning and Condiments... yep, that about does it.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Another vote for Heinz here. I switched from their regular ketchup to their reduced sugar ketchup and that is as delicious as the original.

I will also pay extra to get Daisy brand cottage cheese and sour cream. Why? Read the label sometime. NO ADDED FILLERS. :D
ITA about the reduced sugar ketchup.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Heinz copycat
A good ketchup recipe that is cheaper than store bought, and tastes good. You can use all white vinegar. Also, if you can't find the paste with garlic use 1/4 tsp. garlic powder instead.

* 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste with garlic
* 1/2 cup light corn syrup
* 1/4 cup white vinegar
* 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 min. Stir often.Remove from heat and cover til cool. Keep in a covered container in fridge.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basic ketchup recipe free of High Fuctose Corn Surup

* 4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
* 2 cups water
* 3/4 cup vinegar
* 7 tablespoons demerara sugar (found at wal-mart or regular.)
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 4 teaspoons salt (kosher pref.)
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions
Place tomato paste in pan and stir till smooth. Add water little bit at a time while stirring. Add vinegar same way. Add remaining ingredients and stir over low heat till simmering. Place into old bottles and cool. Store in fridge