Do you save your bacon fat?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Grandma used a Tbs in a shallow pan with about an inch of water and would steam shredded cabbage...turned out good!

I use mine for frying, and flavor. A dab brings alot to a recipe! :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
does it freeze when you put it in the freezer (like get hard?) or can you still dip it out?

Cassandra

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You can sort of slice/chip some out with a table knife, or shave thin amounts with a spoon (sort of like it was way-too-hard icecream)

It will still get rancid in the freezer after like 5-6 months or so, max.

Pat

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my gram uses it to fry potatoes, add to corn chowder or any soup you but bacon it, for frying corn fritters or mashed potato cakes. Ive seen bacon cheddar biscuit recipes with it in. We never had too much because we ate a lot of fried eggs. Oh and she will heat it up with a little milk and put it on the outdoor cats food to warm it up in the winter and give them a little extra fat.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I use it on vegies especially cabbage!!!! My mom always had a crock next to the stove that she used it out of, she never kept it in the fridge. Times & food have changed!
I save & reuse my oils for cooking things in I have a large assortment of jars in my second fridge with the name of the food on the lid. Such as taco shells, potato, friters, funnel cakes, fish, etc. Dh just shakes his head at me. But why throw it out when it is still good?

sundance

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I use my bacon grease to pour over my dogs dry food, they have beautiful glossy coats, the fur almost shines. I don't usually use it to cook with because of DH high colorestol (spelling) marrie