Do you school/homeschool year round?

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We're entering year 3 of homeschool. We changed a lot this year, including eliminating summer vaca in favor of year-round.

We told the kids, and my 10YO daughter was totally miffed. We then reminded her that it's so hot in Tennessee in the summers that her "vacation" consisted of playing outside for 20 minutes before retreating to the AC. When we pointed out that a good 3-week break in October would mean more fun when it is tolerable outside, she came around pretty quick. It was a funny conversation.

But really - why take long breaks in the summer and winter when it is brutal outside? We'll take longer breaks during the nicest parts of the year so the kiddos can be outside for 12 or more hours a day, like kids should be.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
why take breaks at all? When homeschooling, you can teach all the time. Not necessarily with books and chalk boards- but baking cookies can become a lesson in fractions and/or nutrition... gardening offers opportunities in nutrition again, as well as botany, biology, geology, and natural history... keeping a journal encourages skills like composition and handwriting (a dying art!)... or go outside at night for a spot of astronomy. I found a game called Once Upon A Time ( http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-AG1250-Once-Upon-Time/dp/1887801006 ) that is fun, and really turns on the imagination. One woman I knew actually put her 12 year old in charge of the family budget! She worked with him at first, helping him figure out how to pay the bills first, then put some aside for the "big bills" that came less often, etc. Then she had him work out the menus and shopping list-- which still had to stay within the budget he had decided upon. The only thing she was doing was signing the checks, lol. She told me it was scary putting him in charge at first, but she found that he did really well once he understood what needed to be done. He turned out to be much better than she was about saving for a rainy day. They moved away, so I don't know how things turned out in the long run; but I'm betting that kid didn't get himself into financial trouble like so many do when they are first on their own.

The point is... if you are homeschooling, you shouldn't be thinking in terms of "school years" and "vacations" because children learn ALL THE TIME. Whenever possible, I tried to teach in a way that my child saw how the subject related to Real Life because I remember thinking in school how most of what I was learning had no bearing on my life. It did, of course... but I didn't realize that until much later.

When I was homeschooling, most of it consisted of conversation, rather than worksheets. The only subject that did need at least some worksheet excercises were the basics- mathematics and learning to read and write.

JASTECH

Power Conserver
Reaction score
and you won't find that subject in public school at least...
Indeed, they had difficulty challenging him and were upset over a 6 year old child telling them they are incorrect and he told them if they didn't believe in God they would go to hell. Now that set the hornets loose I tell you.
I use what I can get for free, sense being on disability I can't buy anything.

mcjam

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Education in our house happens every day! Schooling does not happen much at all. Read "Dumbing us Down" by John Taylor Gatto or watch him on utube and you will never think of school the same again, and hopefully will be freed up to help your children really learn to learn. They really are knowledge sponges if we just learn to find out their passions,provide the resources, teach them how to use them and then get out of the way! Watch the sparks fly!

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@JASTECH - Saw this thread over in the corner with recent replies. I read your post and BRAVO. :clap No children for us yet, but I firmly believe in kids learning about God and coming to have a relationship with him. My grandmother got me in church as a child and it played an important role in how I grew up, behaved, and who I married. You will be blessed for helping your son come to know the Lord!

proverbs.png

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember the two of us (DS and me) reading "Don't Know Much About History" together. I learned a lot as well-having been trained in a public school, and we had fun discussing the book together.

JASTECH

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Did you know the first Bible printed in the USA was funded by Congress for use in the schools, churchs and hones in 1647? They took it out in 1963 and look what has happened ever sense.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read that arts and crafts actually help children learn the "hard subjects" better. Something about how they use their brains while doing it. I know I was very upset when I found out the schools had gotten rid of arts and crafts and music.