Do you size your eggs for sale?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm having a little difficulty, for the first time, sizing my eggs for sale. Usually, my eggs are uniformly large/Xlarge and they look good in the carton. Right now I have mostly new layers and the New Hampshires are laying normally large/xlarge eggs and the rest? Well, I would say they are mediums and sometimes small.

I don't want to bother with sorting for size and confusing my customers with different prices, but if I just give them assorted sizes, the bigger eggs make the smaller ones look even smaller! And the type "A" in me hates the lumpy appearance of the different sizes in the cartons.

What do you all do about sizing your eggs for sale? Do you keep it easy and just give an assortment of sizes in the same carton, or do you sort and price accordingly?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just came across this thread. @Beekissed , what did you finally decide for a farm name?

I am having this problem now. My eggs are mostly med- XL, although I don't measure them officially. That's just my eyeball measurement and according to how well they fit in a normal large egg carton. I tend to keep the biggest ones out just because the carton doesn't close right when I put them in. I often save those to give to special people in my life.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just came across this thread. @Beekissed , what did you finally decide for a farm name?

I am having this problem now. My eggs are mostly med- XL, although I don't measure them officially. That's just my eyeball measurement and according to how well they fit in a normal large egg carton. I tend to keep the biggest ones out just because the carton doesn't close right when I put them in. I often save those to give to special people in my life.

Don't remember this thread but it was likely from when I was living elsewhere....called that place Sweetwater Farm. Now I live on Fox Run, so this place would likely be referred to as Fox Run Farm, just because of the location, though it couldn't really be called a "farm". But, after all these years that's what the family still calls this land...the "farm", as it used to be a farm back 100 yrs ago.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I sold eggs I used to mix big and small eggs in the cartons. I had one customer try to be cheeky, wanting to pick out eggs, but I told him no, unless he's willing to pay more, since he'll be taking all the best eggs, leaving the smaller ones for my other customers. They were quite happy with whatever they got, as I charged way less than shop prices for free range eggs and my eggs were sold within a day or two of laying, so they were fresh.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Both my wheaten and silver ameraucana and hatchery easter eggers haven't done well on layer. The will pull feathers from each other to eat. I feed them a 20% feed. They've been getting Nutrena Egg Producer because it's a bit cheaper than the Purina Flockraiser I had been feeding them. Silkies still get that because it comes in crumble.

Note that layer is 16% but even the feed producer knows that higher means more eggs. Egg Producer is 20%.

I'm currently getting 6 to 8 eggs a day from the 9 blue layers. The youngest if them is 4 and the oldest are 7.

I used to size my eggs on the scale when I was selling eggs only to weed out the smallest for our use.

I get a ton of silkie eggs. 2 of them to make a large egg when baking. I prefer them for deviled eggs and pickled eggs.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not really... I just try to make sure they are all more or less the same. No small eggs, if they wobble in the box then they were never meant to be LOL.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That is so sweet, Quail! If I choose to give some to folks I don't get along with, I give them the best also.....sort of like praying for those who do you wrong...kill 'em with kindness when they murder you with meanness! :lol:

I think we will all start to see a rise in production on our eggs. I've been keeping an egg calendar count and the count has steadily risen in the past few weeks. It also has become more consistently the same in numbers.

I didn't realize just how quickly the eggs would mount up in the fridge....I don't have as large of a family as you do and only one of my kids eat eggs! :rolleyes: I have 9 doz. eggs in my fridge from this week's production. My fridge is tiny, so I hope to sell them this week. I also want to drop some off at the local Christian Assistance Network...they are only open for donations between 12pm-2pm on Tues. of each week. When you work, its kind of hard to hit that small window of opportunity.

I did take a positive step and advertised in the local free publications that I have eggs available. I'm hoping to get a better customer base this way....noone else is advertising eggs for sale so, who knows? :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yikes! I must have some really nice customers! I feel for some of you...

We have a mix of sizes and colors: White, variety of browns and green/blue eggs. No complaints on any of it. We pull the really huge, really small and strange-looking ones for ourselves. When our pullets started adding to the daily production along with the 1-year-old hens, we just mixed in 2-3 small eggs per dozen sold. I figured I hadn't raised my prices ever, so it was a small thing for the customers to get a couple small ones.

Nice names! I like Sweetwater, too :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I can't wait to get tottery and old! I've got a list going on all the fun things I'm going to get away with! :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe the "northern" Ameraucana's are more aggressive? I have some and they blend pretty well with the rest of my flock of mostly Orpingtons, Sussex and Hollands. They are smaller and 'busier' but not trouble makers at all. Not sure where these originally came from because I got these at the feed store in exchange for them scratching my truck with a fork lift, lol.