Do you size your eggs for sale?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I bought eggs like that once but it was from this tottery, little old man who could barely stand up....I wasn't about to spurn his little ol' eggs! I pasted a big smile on my face and gladly paid the money! :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Interesting thread! I'm glad it's dug up!

I usually have large and XL eggs. But when I had new layers starting, I was weighing eggs to size them. I was grouping by size. If I didn't have enough to sell all L/XL eggs, then I would give 18 small eggs in place of 12 L/XL.

I write the date each egg was laid on the egg in pencil. So when I was weighing/sizing eggs, I would write it on with pencil too. Obviously, not a big operation here. About a dozen each day.

My (2) customers prefer brown eggs. I have 3 white layers and those are my "house" eggs for the family. Unless I'm really low on eggs for some reason. Then I call and ask sheepishly if they mind a few white eggs this week. :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Do you think there's more demand for colored eggs? I was thinking of getting some blue and green layers. I thought they look pretty in the carton. My reason for not selling more eggs is I don't like to talk to people much and never ask anyone. :hide

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is totally a market for colored eggs. That's why I got EE's last year. But they were carnivorous attack chickens that beat everyone up so they went along their merry way!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Oh no! Did you get them from Murray McMurray hatchery? I was going to order from there... but maybe not if they're too...... carnivorous.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have four EE hens, and an EE rooster. All have been great. All the hens give me at least 5 eggs a week (all are two y/o or less.)

Edited to add, my customers really enjoy the different colored eggs, but almost all of them are elderly and see it as a novelty. I don't have any white eggs. Might have to get some for variety! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise yes they were from Murray McMurray, same as my psycho Cornish roo lol. I have mostly very mild mannered heavy breeds so maybe you'd have better luck if you have stronger willed hens! I now have mostly Dominiques and orpingtons and they wouldn't stand up to the EE's. The Cornishes might not have put up with it, but we keep them separate. Someone said E E's do better with higher protein. @Hinotori maybe? Sorry, memory fails me sometimes!

And no I don't size my eggs, but I keep the smallest ones for us because I don't mind them. Dominiques lay smaller eggs so I get plenty of little ones!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It could be that hatchery has more aggressive ones, could be I had bad luck... No clue. I've never had issues like I did with them though.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a hatchery here in Cameron, TX (Ideal Poultry) that I think most of the feed stores order from. I've ordered from them before and have never been disappointed with their chicks. Great customer service! They have some of the rare breeds that I have, like the Silver Grey dorkings, and the Barred Hollands. Quality birds too. If I order chicks again it would be from them.

Latest posts