Do you size your eggs for sale?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Bee....I like Sweetwater too, but my first pick would be Apple Blossom Hill.
Sounds sweet and hints at the fact that you may have more edibles for sale ;)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not really... I just try to make sure they are all more or less the same. No small eggs, if they wobble in the box then they were never meant to be LOL.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
In Ohio, if you reuse commercial egg cartons, all labeling pertaining to size, color, producer name and address, and the egg dating on carton must be completely covered or marked out. The OH Dept of Ag inspector told me it could be covered with my label information or it must be marked out with a black sharpie type marker.

Also in Ohio, it is not necessary to grade the eggs.

Our label contains this text:

White House Eggs
From the First Ladies at
Our Name Family Farm

Mixed-Sized Unclassified
Humanely-raised, organically-fed, free-running hens
Laid & Packed: February 15, 2009

Thank you for purchasing our farm eggs!
Our Name Dorset, OH 44032 Our Phone Number
Abigail, Betty, Dolley, Eleanor, Frances, Hannah, Jackie,
Lady Bird, Lou, Martha, Mary, Pat, Patsy, Rachel

Compared to caged-produced eggs, pastured eggs have*:
400% more Omega-3 fatty acids 40% more Vitamin A
34% less cholesterol 10% less fat
*Data per the USDA Sustainable Agriculture & Research Education Program

Edited to add: Bee, we asked our extended family members to vote on the 4 names we liked best for our farm egg label. It was great fun and everyone loved being involved in the process.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's a good suggestion, Keljonma, and I will seriously put it to a vote. The boys and my mother will love that too! And your labeling is very helpful info for the essential information, to be sure.

I would say you all are right, the variations in farm eggs are what make them unique. I will just continue mixing them in and let the chips fall where they may!

Got 23 eggs out of 27 layers today!!! I think winter is winding down and spring is on the way! :weee

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Congrats, Bee!

I hit a new record on eggs today, too and so far have collected NINE! plus I think I might hit 10 egg WOOT because I had a BLRW on the nest when I went out a bit ago to collect!

I have one full dozen of very pretty brown eggs in my fridge now. Took me all week to collect it up, as I didn't put in first time eggs or bantam eggs in it. I have a full dozen of bantam eggs waiting to go in the 'bator LOL

The dozen in my fridge are going to my FIL. He's been waiting for my hens to come on laying just as much as we have. I don't always get a long with my FIL, but I made a decision. I told DH that his dad's eggs will be free. Last year FIL insisted on paying for his eggs. This year, I am going to give him his eggs free. I chose the ones that were best in shape, size, and a nice brown just for my FIL. I hope he likes them. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That is so sweet, Quail! If I choose to give some to folks I don't get along with, I give them the best also.....sort of like praying for those who do you wrong...kill 'em with kindness when they murder you with meanness! :lol:

I think we will all start to see a rise in production on our eggs. I've been keeping an egg calendar count and the count has steadily risen in the past few weeks. It also has become more consistently the same in numbers.

I didn't realize just how quickly the eggs would mount up in the fridge....I don't have as large of a family as you do and only one of my kids eat eggs! :rolleyes: I have 9 doz. eggs in my fridge from this week's production. My fridge is tiny, so I hope to sell them this week. I also want to drop some off at the local Christian Assistance Network...they are only open for donations between 12pm-2pm on Tues. of each week. When you work, its kind of hard to hit that small window of opportunity.

I did take a positive step and advertised in the local free publications that I have eggs available. I'm hoping to get a better customer base this way....noone else is advertising eggs for sale so, who knows? :)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I used to have my own plain cartons as well and I plan to order more, but they will probably not be the plain, gray ones I had before. I am going to start labeling as well, Aly. I think it will enhance my business so much to have a "brand" identity on my cartons.

I will be ordering brown Kraft labels soon and printing up my own logo, nutritional information, some info on how I raise my birds, etc. I just haven't decided on a farm name yet and am awaiting for guidance from God on that one! :p

Here are some of my choices so far:

Apple Blossom Hill/Farm
Sweetwater Farm
Shining Star Farm
Apple Valley Farm

I'm leaning towards Sweetwater Farm, as it seems to denote something good, sweet, wholesome~plus our drinking water is par excellent! Of course, we have this big apple orchard on the hill behind the house, so the boys chose names referencing this.

What do you think?
Apple Blossom

peckndirt

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I crate the large eggs first work my way down.When I get to the small ones ,banties , I crate those and give them out to the more needy costumers when they stop to buy eggs. Most want except free eggs so when they buy I tell them that they will just go to waste if they don't want them.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Bee, My vote is for Apple Blossom Hill!

Mine is so unoriginal it isn't funny...Hobby Farm Treasures LOL

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I sell mine in mixed dozens, they are mixed sizes of med to x-large and all different colors. Some times I do have people that request only one color, like just brown or just white. And I have even had fokes who have boughten a mixed dozen knowing what was in it just to call me wanting return the green or blue eggs because their family would not eat them and want brown ones to replace them.