Do you size your eggs for sale?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Mine are mixed browns and greens (no white layers), and I put them into the carton from the largest to the smallest. I don't try to give the same 'size' in the carton. No one seems to mind.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yikes! I must have some really nice customers! I feel for some of you...

We have a mix of sizes and colors: White, variety of browns and green/blue eggs. No complaints on any of it. We pull the really huge, really small and strange-looking ones for ourselves. When our pullets started adding to the daily production along with the 1-year-old hens, we just mixed in 2-3 small eggs per dozen sold. I figured I hadn't raised my prices ever, so it was a small thing for the customers to get a couple small ones.

Nice names! I like Sweetwater, too :)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our label says

Lupin Farm

Fresh Brown Eggs
RR4 Marmora | lupinfarm.com

We cover the Canada Grade A bit on our boxes which are the plain boxes you buy from the co-op just because they aren't graded.

Our farm is Lupin Farm as in the flowers (or Remus Lupin... i wanted to call it Godrichs Hollow because the barn is in a hollow), and our house is called Hill House.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like Sweetwater.

I bought eggs from one person who put in a mix of colors and sizes. She was upfront about it and I was pleased.

I bought eggs from another person once and got home to find out they were all banty eggs. I was irked and wished she had told me (and I guess I should have looked inside, but I was in a hurry).

Just be open about and people will probably be ok with it.

Inchy, who now has her own eggs :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I bought eggs like that once but it was from this tottery, little old man who could barely stand up....I wasn't about to spurn his little ol' eggs! I pasted a big smile on my face and gladly paid the money! :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I can't wait to get tottery and old! I've got a list going on all the fun things I'm going to get away with! :lol:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just came across this thread. @Beekissed , what did you finally decide for a farm name?

I am having this problem now. My eggs are mostly med- XL, although I don't measure them officially. That's just my eyeball measurement and according to how well they fit in a normal large egg carton. I tend to keep the biggest ones out just because the carton doesn't close right when I put them in. I often save those to give to special people in my life.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just came across this thread. @Beekissed , what did you finally decide for a farm name?

I am having this problem now. My eggs are mostly med- XL, although I don't measure them officially. That's just my eyeball measurement and according to how well they fit in a normal large egg carton. I tend to keep the biggest ones out just because the carton doesn't close right when I put them in. I often save those to give to special people in my life.

Don't remember this thread but it was likely from when I was living elsewhere....called that place Sweetwater Farm. Now I live on Fox Run, so this place would likely be referred to as Fox Run Farm, just because of the location, though it couldn't really be called a "farm". But, after all these years that's what the family still calls this land...the "farm", as it used to be a farm back 100 yrs ago.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Interesting thread! I'm glad it's dug up!

I usually have large and XL eggs. But when I had new layers starting, I was weighing eggs to size them. I was grouping by size. If I didn't have enough to sell all L/XL eggs, then I would give 18 small eggs in place of 12 L/XL.

I write the date each egg was laid on the egg in pencil. So when I was weighing/sizing eggs, I would write it on with pencil too. Obviously, not a big operation here. About a dozen each day.

My (2) customers prefer brown eggs. I have 3 white layers and those are my "house" eggs for the family. Unless I'm really low on eggs for some reason. Then I call and ask sheepishly if they mind a few white eggs this week. :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Do you think there's more demand for colored eggs? I was thinking of getting some blue and green layers. I thought they look pretty in the carton. My reason for not selling more eggs is I don't like to talk to people much and never ask anyone. :hide