Does anyone do kitchen scrap gardening? Planting, not composting

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
JRmom said:
One time, years ago, I noticed a sprout working its way up in my kitchen sink drain. I dug it out and it was a sprouted pea - from canned peas! I was shocked that it would sprout after all that processing.
No kidding!! That's just crazy.

The more I think about it, the more I want to get just organic stuff and see what I can grow from 'garbage'. Downside is that our growing season is shorter than some, so some things might sprout, but not live long enough to produce anything.

Is there a seed swap on the forum somewhere? I should have gobs and gobs of anise and other things to swap or donate later in the year. And I sure would like to have some of those invasive blackberries that everyone complains about.

Welcome, Calendula! Love that flower...

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
The invasive blackberry is called Himalayan and you don't want that kind. While it does have an edible fruit, it doesn't really taste that great either. Himalayan blackberry is much seedier than the other varieties sold in gardening stores. There may be other invasive blackberry types, but the Himalayan has taken over much of the pacific northwest and is not a native plant.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, dang it. I know there's wild blackberries around here somewhere, I just can't find any. I bought a bush a couple years ago and it's so tiny. Finally got a few little berries on it last year, one looked edible...yek. Looks can be deceiving.

I had to go take a look in my kitchen to see what I had that could be planted instead of composted - green onions is all! I was rather surprised, it's not like we're starving here! But the rest already has the root part cut off, chopped, etc. O well, I think I'll put the onion ends in a pot and see what happens. Still way too early to put anything outside.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Himalayan blackberries are certainly edible, they just are not real good. If you pick them at the peak of ripeness they are really not bad, but on any given day there are only x amount on the bush that taste very good.
And the plant is extremely invasive, has enormous thorns and is hard to kill. Everyone around here wants it GONE. We set our goats loose in the blackberry plants and shout at them, "Eat faster!"

I imagine some of the blackberries from the market would be a better type to plant, and since that is what the thread is about, I wonder if anyone has ideas for you there. I'm afraid for me, they would polinate into being himalayan even if I planted thornless or tastier blackberries.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've got several thornless blackberries - and, although they are huge berries, they don't taste as good as the old wild ones around here. But, people buy them at the farmer's market, so they must like them. And, they are so easy to propagate - just let the vine lay on the ground.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Marianne! I love calendula! Not only is it pretty, but it has so many uses. It makes great homemade skin care products. Speaking of seed swapping, I have TONS of calendula seeds too.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My aunt in Denver had waves of calendula in her yard years ago. It was gorgeous.

We should start another thread about seed swapping. I don't have anything to send out now, but it might be a way to share our bounty, right? And then we'd know who was interested.

I have a vague recollection of sprouting the root end of some celery that I bought a few years back. I think I'll try that again the next time I pick some up.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dont know why some of you dislike the himalayan blackberry. Yes it is invasive and spreads. But if you keep it under control it is great. Disease resistant, and grows great with no care. Not even being water by a person. There is a big field of them behind where I live. I see them as free food. Every year I pick them. In compatition with neighbors. I love eatting them straight off the bush. Or putting them in a bowl with a tiny bit of sugar. Making blackberry cobbler. Last year I made 10 double recipe cobblers. Along with putting 36 cups of them in the freezer. My grandma makes pies with them and jam or jelly. They have all won many first places in the county fair.

My aunt owns a farm. And she has the cultivated store bought kind of blackberries. The bushes are small. Die down alot and barely get a harvest from them. And they are well established plants. Been there for about 50 years.

She basically never even picks the cultivated kind. Doesnt want to waster her time with them. And just goes to the wild himalayan patch..

If you really want some seeds from them. I could get you some once they get berries this year..

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey, I'll try anything here. Let me know when it's time and I'll send you my details. Thanks!

Ever since we moved out here, I have been concentrating on just planting edibles - I figure if I'm not eating it, a critter is.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The only kitchen scraps I've had luck with planting is potatoes, onions and garlic. Like allot of you I've gotten tomatoes and a few other volunteers in the compost pile!LOL We just bought this house in Oct. and there was allot left in the garden. Apparently They had lots of non hybrid tomatoes the year before.... there were tomatoes EVERYWHERE!!!!

* Being new I don't want to make waves but.... you've been talking about organic seeds and crops, however organic is a way of tending crops. Most any non hybrid seeds will reproduce, they don't have to be organic. Hope I didn't offend anyone!

A canned pea sprouting?..... really weird!!! And I bet it was rather freaky seeing something growing out of the drain!:p:p