Does anyone do kitchen scrap gardening? Planting, not composting

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone doing this, and this I'm gonna try, if it means a little more food for the family.

Waste not - Want not!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
* Being new I don't want to make waves but.... you've been talking about organic seeds and crops, however organic is a way of tending crops. Most any non hybrid seeds will reproduce, they don't have to be organic. Hope I didn't offend anyone!
And welcome Cindlady2!
You sure didn't offend, as you are absolutely correct! I tend to blur the lines on that stuff.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Guess what! I went to clean out my sink last night and guess what I found just under the drain strainer. A cute little sprouting ...something! I don't know what it is, maybe a BOSS. I did clean out the chicken dishes a few days before so I bet it cam from there. What ever it is, to reward it for it's persiverance.... I planted it!

It's spring people.... check your drains! LOL

littlegorb

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
horseradish. throw the tops and peelings back in the ground, they keep going.

Judy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Celery! I'd post a pic but can't seem to figure out how. I have two celery plants growing like mad right now from the root end of a celery I bought in the store.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This wasn't exactly planting..but I toss everything in the compost when they are scraps..or going bad. I have gone out a week later, and, say...things look better and fresher in the compost then they did in my kitchen. I have all sorts of ideas though now, being as we have this 1 acre with chickens. I can get more ideas on what I can do with stuff. I love volunteers..not expecting anything, but getting a nice surprise.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Judy said:
Celery! I'd post a pic but can't seem to figure out how. I have two celery plants growing like mad right now from the root end of a celery I bought in the store.
Welcome, Newbies! :frow Please take a moment and introduce yourself over at the 'where am I' section on the forum, k?

That's interesting about the celery. No one around here grows it, I'm guessing because it would get bitter from too much heat? Just a guess...But it might work out well as a fall crop around here. I'll have to check that out.

Neko, beet?? From the top or the root section, do you know? You probably had both tossed into the compost. Did you get an actual beet from it or just the top? Ditto on the carrot?

Yes, I love volunteers, too. I look at it as free food. I bet I had 20 or more volunteer potato plants this last season from the dinkiest potatoes that I just threw back in the ground from harvesting the previous year. I can't believe they made it through the winter.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I save my kitchen scraps in a bucket with a lid and every so many days go dig hole in garden and bury them... Then in a few weeks go turn it... I put the bedding in garden from the chickens and the ducks and cover with soil and turn every so often.. or hubby takes tiller and tills up...

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've grown lots of stuff from overripe things in the fridge and cupboards (potatoes starting to sprout, sweet potatoes, a pumpkin I left sitting too long and the seeds started sprouting, garlic that started sprouting, etc.), but I never considered growing stuff from scraps. Great idea! I'll have to try it. I've been meaning to try this with a pineapple -- I hear you can grow a bush from the cut-off top of the pineapple. Mint also grows if you stick some mint sprigs in a pot of soil (don't put it in the ground -- it will take over.)