Does anyone do their canning in jars that have glass lids?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Isn't it weird that it's so difficult to learn about old processes? That are only a generation or two back? Hubs just got home and I told him about the convo we've all been having about these lids and he told me that his Grandma used to can with these things and that he regularly ate fruit out of these jars when he visited her as a kid! Too bad he was never around when she was canning with them (and too bad no one knows where the jars are anymore, she passed away in 1998 :()

DrakeMaiden said:
OK, my mom's book says that your jars are indeed the "3-piece closure" glass lids. It says to apply the rubber ring when it is wet. It says that the screwband is turned down tight, then given an 1/4 inch (I leave the conversion to metrics to you . . . I'm short on time, sorry) counterturn to allow air in the contents to vent while processing. Re-tighten the band carefully as you remove the jar from the processing kettle, but never re-tighten further afterwards. That is all it says.
That's about what I've found for instructions as well :)

And LOL about the metric vs. imperial measurements--we Canucks are pretty fluent in both ;)

I give the pears a day or two more before I can get them all canned up and try these babies out :ya

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It is interesting learning about the old methods of canning, isn't it? My mom said that her grandmother used to can all the time with those kinds of jars.

:) I wish the US used the metric system like the rest of the world. There was a time in my life when I was more familiar with the metric measurements than the imperial ones, but alas, those days are well over. :/

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just pulled the last load of 28 quarts/litres of pears out of the canner--last load included one of my glass-lidded Gem jars. We'll see in the morning how it sealed. :)

I did use a modern ring, just because they were clean and I haven't got to cleaning all the old zinc rings yet (let alone the 72 jars, but there are over 100 glass lids and zinc rings to do as well!)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Re-posted from my journal for anyone following this thread:

So, I did it--I canned one jar of my 40 lbs of pears in an old Gem jar complete with glass lid, rubber ring, and modern steel band--and it sealed :)

(I also canned the rest of the 40 lbs of pears and they filled 28 quarts/litres.)

viceroy.jpg
pears.jpg

canning-pears.jpg

pears1.jpg

pears2.jpg

glass-lid-jar.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi Moolie,
Maybe the information on this site might be of help to you; there are a lot of links to yet more info contained on it.

http://www.pickyourown.org/canningjars.htm

I am a Brit living in the UK & over 70 so I remember both my grandmother & mother using these jars (trade name here is Kilner Jars) & I even have a couple but by the time I STARTED PRESERVING WE USED THE METAL LIDS WITH THE METAL SCREW BANDS. However we can still buy the rubber gaskets. Here in Europe we often use the preserving jars (trade name "Le Parfait") with a rubber gasket & wire closures. Various French gourmet food companies use them for delicious meat & poultry pates & terrines as well as fish soups.

I have never heard of any harm coming to customers who buy them & I have eaten them for years.

I think your jars of pears look great.....CONGRATULATIONS :)

Hattie

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone :)

Fun family day out today, we drove out to Moraine Lake and Lake Louise in Banff National Park (Canadian Rockies) and did a little hiking and exploring, then got ice cream before we took the Bow Valley Parkway back through the park (the slow way home!) I'll post some photos tomorrow, just chillin' and catching up on the forum before bedtime :)