1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Plastic up the porch - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else butcher their own meat?

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by Poka_Doodle, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Nov 14, 2015
    Poka_Doodle

Poka_Doodle Lovin' The Homestead

We butcher all meat we kill. This includes turning our shop ing to a butcher room after each sugcessful Elk or Deer hunt. We also do our chickens, and it takes all night. I manage to escape every time from killing and chicken butcher. But I oddly love helping the guys butcher Elk or what ever they get. Cutting meat takes a decent bit of time and I have been know to also cut myself when not wearing latex gloves, but it is still so much fun. I only escape chicken butchering because I have a close connection with the species.
    If anyone else does or is interested in it please post about it. This thread is also on BYH.

2. Nov 14, 2015
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Yes, we butcher ours too. Not my favorite thing to do. :( Venison is the worst for me because we hang it and it's cold. My hands get so cold working on it. Absolutely miserable.

Last year we processed 3 deer. DH hasn't seen anything this year, so we might be processing a lamb instead.

3. Nov 14, 2015
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

I haven't been able to butcher or eat my chickens, so we sold or gave away extras, but over the years we have raised and butchered more pigs than I can count. We used to sell the meat, so we butchered regularly. It's an unpleasant procedure, but the meat and knowing where it came from and what went into it, is great! Not to mention it is so much cheaper compared to buying meat at the shops!

We also butchered sheep, but on a very small scale.

We did not have the facilities to process and cut the meat ourselves, so the carcasses went to the local butchery to be hung and cut for us, at a minimal fee.

4. Nov 14, 2015
    Poka_Doodle

I personally feel like it would be harder to butcher your owwn animals anyways. I might get to help the 3 guys that went our over the weekend butcher their 2 elk today. Usually we would have more help and more elk to butcher after this family anual trip but people ha thigs and not everyone got a tag this year unlike the past

5. Nov 15, 2015
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

When I have time, I do my own chickens. It's not my favorite thing to do, but there's no place around here where I could take them.

6. Nov 15, 2015
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

I don't anymore. Gave 3 beautiful roosters away today to a guy with 100 hens! Free range, sells eggs. So these 6 mo old guys will have a great life and I just didn't want to butcher them. Besides, it's really messy to do and if I need to do this, want more than 3. Have done it in past, been a long time.

Larger animals, I take to a butcher.

7. Nov 15, 2015
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

I have butchered deer. I used to hunt and can field dress, then cut and wrap. I made my own stuffed smoked sausage. I used to raise rabbits and killed and dressed them. You know the scene in Forest Gump where Bubba is telling Forest all the ways to cook shrimp? Well, I was like that in cooking rabbit. Rabbit enchiladas, rabbit chili, bunny burgers, rabbit casserole, rabbit tacos, rabbit sausage, fried rabbit, rabbit and dumplings..... :lol:

Now I butcher old hens and roosters from a straight run. I raised 20 ducks a couple of years ago and butchered them. We are raising pigs right now, I will have ours butchered, cut and wrapped.

Beekissed likes this.
  8. Nov 16, 2015
    Poka_Doodle

Had a fun time doing it yesterday

9. Nov 17, 2015
    goatgurl

goatgurl Almost Self-Reliant

back in the day we butchered all our own meat, beef, hogs, lambs, goats, deer and chickens but that was a couple of years ago. now i send everything do the butcher shop except the rabbits, chickens and ducks. makes life so much easier.

10. Nov 17, 2015
    Poka_Doodle

Probably does, it takes all night to do the chickens