1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 4 Thieves Vinegar - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else butcher their own meat?

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by Poka_Doodle, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Oct 8, 2016
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

My dogs won't touch bird intestines. Dunno why, but they'll gobble up just about everything else. They especially love testicles :eek: Chicken or quail...they scarf 'em up like candy.

2. Oct 8, 2016
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

@baymule do you know what the percentage of finished weight to live weight is for lambs? I remember thinking it was pretty low.

My 3 year old daughter was studying our butchering reference book, complete with pictures. Asking what each picture was of. Lol

tortoise likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2016
    lcertuche

lcertuche Almost Self-Reliant

I butcher my chickens as needed. If I ever get a pressure canner I will process them all at once and get it done but right now I'm trying to get away from depending so much on the freezer. I have butchered deers too, but it's been a few years. I would rather butcher any animal than send it out. I am too cheap to spend that kind of money. I did once buy a 1200 pound cow once from a neighbor. We sent it out to be processed and ended up with about 200 pounds of processed meat. We split the cost of the beef and processing with 2 other friends. It was a tough old cow that I wished we had canned instead of freezing.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  4. Oct 10, 2016
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

I with hold feed the day before, and the intestines and crop are empty. But let's face it, I have sh*t eating dogs! :lol:

I wound up with about 40% meat (hanging weight) from live weight. That does not include heart, liver or soup bones. I think if I had done my own butchering, I would have had more useable organ meats and bones that got thrown away at the slaughter house.

tortoise and Beekissed like this.