Does anyone else butcher their own meat?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were typing at the same time... We have had our meat grinder for a while now but haven't used it yet. I can't wait! I think, this time around, we will do all ground pork and do sausage flavorings when we cook it. Our next pig we butcher in the spring, we want to do sausage and try some links even. We just have way too much to do right now to go there.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We unfortunately learned the hard way that not everyone who claims they know how to butcher an animal can actually do it properly. And turning your back can end up costing you dearly too. We've lost a good few pounds of meat that somehow made it to the off-cuts piles. Like the pigs' necks that suddenly got very short! I'd say if you have to send an animal off to butcher, make sure you can trust the people, make sure they are experienced and will do the job properly, especially the killing part.

There's old-fashion home economics and there's retail cuts. If you want to use the whole hog, I think you've got to do it yourself.

I've been disappointed by butchers, too. But I think it's not a failing of the butcher but rather that everyone else has trained them that offal is awful and the tongue is for dog food, etc. I still have yet to find a butcher who will do what I want. So I butcher myself. Call me Dr. DIY but it suites me to do this kind of thing myself. Yes, it takes time and effort but I am willing to pay the cost to have things done properly.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dogs won't touch bird intestines. Dunno why, but they'll gobble up just about everything else. They especially love testicles :eek: Chicken or quail...they scarf 'em up like candy.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I butcher my chickens as needed. If I ever get a pressure canner I will process them all at once and get it done but right now I'm trying to get away from depending so much on the freezer. I have butchered deers too, but it's been a few years. I would rather butcher any animal than send it out. I am too cheap to spend that kind of money. I did once buy a 1200 pound cow once from a neighbor. We sent it out to be processed and ended up with about 200 pounds of processed meat. We split the cost of the beef and processing with 2 other friends. It was a tough old cow that I wished we had canned instead of freezing.

Last edited: