does anyone have a motion detector in their driveway?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
This is jsut my experience from the other side of the fence- I'm am not saying that your situation is at all like this.

The first thing to do is get a plot map to check things out if you don't have it yet. Then find and mark your boundaries.

My neighbor last year first accused me of plotting to create an easement over about 50 ft of his property by using the access gate I have. I told that there was an existing easement there. The next thing was that they piled brush in the middle of the lane effectively closing access.
I then wrote a letter, sending a copy of the plot map showing the easement. I asked him very politely to move the brush. Said if he had any problems call me. And told him that we could go to an attorney to work things out if he disagreed.
Next I got a letter from their attorney declaring they didn't want me to use their property and that the previous easement was abondoned. In our state and easement is not considered abandoned until paper declaring that have been filed with the county and 30 years have passed without protest, neither of these having been done. So the sicced their attorney on me with bogus claims.
Then my neighbor called to me as I was passing the next day- ranted about a number of silly things then basically told me he was removing the brush in the next couple of days, that he never intended to block the access- he "thought I would be happy with his clearing brush" and that I didn't have to ask his permission for using this easement any more. No sorry for screaming at me and making my life difficult without having done any research about the issue at all- just repeated that the real estate salesperson had said there was no easment. And blamed me for creating the problem by sending him a certified letter and upsetting him- the poor 6"2", 200 lb man.

So I now am using the the short lane as I was previously but I can't shed the bad feeling his ranting left with me- we are no longer friends- we are civil but I distrust them now.

The point I'm making is that deeded access is not neccessarily exclusive- because I have the right to cross his land on the road doesn't mean that he can't use it too- at least up to my own property line.

Now the way to have kept all this from happening would have been for him to look at the map, determine where the lines are and what they meant, talk to me about any differences between our interpretations and resolved any unclear things with a third party.

Because bad feeling amoung neighbors are not always repaired.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes we do have a copy map of the plot of land and the deed to the property includes the driveway.

The property they are hunting on has full road acess. To park in our driveway would totally block us from being able to leave our property. It a long drive 10 feet across and there is no way for two cars to meet/park/pass without going into the ditch. There is plenty of room on the other property on the road next to our driveway to park. The propery is almost like a popcicle with the driveway the stick. The trees are thick on either side of the drive. So we are pretty much cut off from the rest of the world. The only place they could park would block us from leaving.

We are not going to get in a fight with these people. They have been around here a lot longer then we have.

This whole post started just so we would know if there are people approaching the house.

Anyway We will work it out on our own....

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Cackle- It sounds like I might have offended you which I certainly did not mean to do. I guess I'm still pretty raw over my neighbor issue. I just was mentioning that if your situation was an easement (or he has an easement,) it can be confusing.
I'm sorry if I did speak out of turn. I know it was not what you were asking. And it doesn't seem to be your situation anyway.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
enjoy the ride I always enjoy your post and I guess we both have just had our feathers ruffled. I think it was just the way he approached us telling us where our property lines were like we did not know.

But you are right and if we do put up a gate it will be next summer. And as I am sure we will see him around we will let him know our intentions before doing so even though they do not need our road for access but because as you said good communications make for the best neighbors. ANd who knows his uncle is old and one day he may own the land next door.

Anyway I am sorry if I took it wrong and I understand why you are still upset from your encounter. People can really be inconsiderate. And I don't want to be one of them.:rant

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Why, ticks, in the same way having games on the forum are self-sufficient! This is another type of game we adults play...its called problem-solving! :lol: :D
:p
Well atleast the games aren't played in the every thing else sufficient living category.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ticks said:
Beekissed said:
Why, ticks, in the same way having games on the forum are self-sufficient! This is another type of game we adults play...its called problem-solving! :lol: :D
Well atleast the games aren't played in the every thing else sufficient living category.
Ticks,

Hopefully an administrator will delete or move this post. I am sorry I posted it in the wrong place.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, cackle...AND ticks, since there doesn't seem to BE an appropriate category for "motion detectors on the driveway"...this is apparently the most appropriate category available...now isn't it? Until they come up with said category, which I think is a little too much to hope for, I would say that cackle has posted her inquiry at the best place possible.

Please stay and continue to problem solve away...we are enjoying getting heads together and discussing options!

Ticks! tsk, tsk, tsk! :old :/

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Well, cackle...AND ticks, since there doesn't seem to BE an appropriate category for "motion detectors on the driveway"...this is apparently the most appropriate category available...now isn't it? Until they come up with said category, which I think is a little too much to hope for, I would say that cackle has posted her inquiry at the best place possible.

Please stay and continue to problem solve away...we are enjoying getting heads together and discussing options!

Ticks! tsk, tsk, tsk! :old :/
Thanks Beekissed,

I really find these forums to be a wealth of information. I just don't want to offend/upset anyone.

There are a lot of issues out there fall somewhere between games and jokes and everything else sufficient. Maybe we need an index for problem solving or other issues.

I still have to find a solution. to knowing when people are coming up the drive. Need to wait on the next paycheck to even think about it. Had to pay college son's rent last two months and my husband's computer died that he uses for work. So it has been a lot of freezer eating.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
cackle said:
ticks said:
Beekissed said:
Ticks,

Hopefully an administrator will delete or move this post. I am sorry I posted it in the wrong place.
You did not post anything in the wrong place and this does have everything to do with self-sufficient living, especially if you're homestead is so far back you need to know when someone is on your property. This is a unique situation and I would have put it in this same forum. If Ticks has a problem with this thread he can just not open it again. :rolleyes:

I have a problem with games and jokes on all of the forums, I can't be bothered with them - so I don't open the posts that contain them.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
cackle said:
ticks said:
Beekissed said:
Ticks,

I'm not complaining. Just wondering.