Does anyone have info on wind power

ccrecelius

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am very interested in learning more about wind power. They say that the area where I live does not have very good wind. All I have to say is, they have never been to my house. The wind blows all most all of the time. I am interested in finding out how many kw a turbine can produce on average over a month period. Price? Anything to reduce the initial cost? Does anyone know how much maintainence a turbine needs?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I think they are very expensive. A lot of farms have them in my town, bu the farms also produce a good amount of money.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Price? Anything to reduce the initial cost? Does anyone know how much maintainence a turbine needs?

Just checked out the site again. Cost varies just like anything else. Starting at $5,400 to $14,500. Check out the site it will answer alot of your questions.
I am considering it. Again it all depends on what the final cost is. I don't want to sell the farm to have to pay for it. If you know what I mean.

ccrecelius

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have already done a bit of checking. It looked like to me that it was going to cost me right around $17K to produce around 400 kw per month. That is something that I am really not much interested in. But, I may have gotten the information mixed-up. I was just wondering if people were getting different information and I may be totally lost.

Chris

RLAZ

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think that if you get a wind turbine, it will be very worth it because they do produce a lot of energy and the electricity bill will be a lot less and save you a lot of money. :D

sufficient1

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I used wind power on a sailboat for some time. I found an electric motor used for antenna rotation quite cheap. It was designed for outdoor use and well sealed. If the motor runs on 12V it will supply 12V when spun at design RPM. I made my own propellers from sheet metal. It was not most efficient but worked fine. Use it to power a 12V battery bank and use an inverter to convert to 120V AC if needed.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Check Ebay and similar sites for used. I know someone who got quite a deal on an exceptionally large wind turbine, in a homeowner sense of large. There's a lot of buying and selling of those as people either upgrade or sell from insufficient wind.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband has been actively looking to build a wind torbine. You tube has instructions to build them yourself, and the research that he has done so far shows it to be relitively inexpensive - the most costly being the batteries and converter. Those will make the most of the wind you do get.

Edited to correct spelling and say I'm a terrible speller, sorry if it's not fixed all the way! :D