does anyone here have mushroom beds?

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I was a little girl I remember picking Moral mushroom every fall with my family. That was in Michigan. Now I live in Alabama. I saw an advert for moral mushroom kits. Only $35.00! I just wondered if they would grow here? I'd like to try, but money is hard to come by for something that's a luxery! Would it be worth the investment? There is a nice shady wooded area here that I could put them in.

quinnette

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i'm planning on growing them under my house. it's cool, damp, dark. great meat alternative.
keep us posted on your progress:)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Kim, we have morels here, they just seem to be more rare and on the small side, and I didn't know what they were at the time when I found them, but we DO have them. I don't see why they wouldn't grow there too. You're not really all that far from me. I'm just 5 miles north of the MS state line, and these were in my back yard in the wooded area. I think they'd do well.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess I'm tired because I read the title and wondered why someone was posting about furniture and what the heck was a mushroom bed? It didn't sound comfortable. The worst part is it still didn't dawn on me until I opened the thread.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
kimlove2 said:
When I was a little girl I remember picking Moral mushroom every fall with my family. That was in Michigan. Now I live in Alabama. I saw an advert for moral mushroom kits. Only $35.00! I just wondered if they would grow here? I'd like to try, but money is hard to come by for something that's a luxery! Would it be worth the investment? There is a nice shady wooded area here that I could put them in.
My DH was told by a mushroom kit seller to not buy them. They are too unreliable, according to this guy. It was honest for him to say so, but I wonder why he sells them, then!

DH is growing oyster mushrooms on plastic-bag-covered boxelder "totems" in our basement right now. You can see the early activity after on 2 weeks or so down there, so it looks like it will be a reliable mushroom kit to use...

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think I'll order a kit and see how they do. I know morals are self-seeding(?) anyway, they always came back in Michigan, so maybe $35.00 isn't THAT much.:fl

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I don't know about morals being self-seeding :D, but morels are, like I believe all mushrooms. I think the trick is to get it done in a controlled environment. Who knows, though? My MIL always dumped out the morel water into the lawn to hope for more the next year... Good luck!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ahhhhh morel mushrooms are my favorite. I was introduced to them about 25 years ago while on wild turkey hunting trips in the springtime. Our law says no turkey hunting after twelve noon so lots of hunters spend the afternoon either fishing or hunting for mushrooms. In many places where we hunt the local folks hunt the morels in droves. You see entire families back in the marshy, wet areas of the woods with brown paper bags.

We pick them and put them in a brown paper bag (tradition) and saute them in butter to be eaten along with the evening meal cookout. Sometimes we make the evening meal from only the morels.

At farmer's mkt. they sell for $39 to $49 per pound.

Morel.jpg

I don't have to grow them 'cause they grow wild in our woods along the creek. They are usually only available here during the last two weeks of April.