does anyone here have mushroom beds?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think I read in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.....or was it the Michael Pollan book, um....um....um.........that you should gather them in mesh bags so that you leave spore behind to reseed the area where they grow naturally. I've never found morels, though. :/

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think they are getting harder to find in my county we love them but people will pay up to 50 per gal for them so i think they are getting over harvested I would love to be able to raise them to so If any one has any luck let me know :fl

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know about morels, but I got a gift card for one of those nursery catalogs and got a regular mushroom kit. Those were the best mushrooms I have EVER tasted!! The first batch were nice and big, lots of them, and then I tried for a second batch...and forgot about it. Ended up with ONE mushroom about 8 inches across! It was fabulous. But I didn't know enough about it to see if I could keep growing them. I would LOVE to buy a kit if I knew how to keep growing them. But I couldn't find enough information on them.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I guess I'm tired because I read the title and wondered why someone was posting about furniture and what the heck was a mushroom bed? It didn't sound comfortable. The worst part is it still didn't dawn on me until I opened the thread.
:lol:

I want to start one! I think under the house is a great idea, I'll have to think about giving that a try!

HappyHomestead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
An online friend of mine is trying a really interesting - and cheap - mushroom theory. Cut the stems off some mushrooms, place them gill side down on waxed paper for a day, then place the spores you've collected in moist soil mixed with seasoned manure and store in a dark place. Mist several times a day until you have mushrooms. I like this idea because mushroom kits seem really expensive for what you get.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for putting my pic on the front page ! Thats very nice! I wish i knew about the morel mushroom before that. I went outside to find it and its gone lol. Maybe it will seed itself again for next yr.or does it have multiple growing times?
This site is the best!!
:)

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HappyHomestead said:
An online friend of mine is trying a really interesting - and cheap - mushroom theory. Cut the stems off some mushrooms, place them gill side down on waxed paper for a day, then place the spores you've collected in moist soil mixed with seasoned manure and store in a dark place. Mist several times a day until you have mushrooms. I like this idea because mushroom kits seem really expensive for what you get.
That makes alot of sense. This is how you propagate ferns!!!
Maybe its the same?
I was thinking cant you just let them dry and grind them to a powder and spread on wood chips???
I also want to grow mushrooms some day, sounds so cool!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have a bed, but my family pics a milky white fungi after a foggy night in the woods, growing on decaying willow. They get as big and bigger than an adult hand. In less than an hour we can come home with enough to cancel out a years supply of mushrooms. I wish I new the exact name.
After Katrina, it was all we could do, just to cut a trail to the back of the property and couldn't reach the areas that had willow, but I think I can start going again.
Thats the one time we can eat our fill on fried mushrooms.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I'm getting the mushroom plugs...You drill a hole. lots of holes.. in fallen oaks and some other type trees and insert these plugs with mushroom spawn. I haven't seen the moral plugs for sale on the internet, but many other popular mushroom plugs are for sale.....I love mushrooms...!