Does anyone meditate?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If I want to get my mind off of some thought, I read a good book and sink deeply into the story.

If I just want to "go to another place" in my mind for a brief while(to lower my pulse or blood pressure or get through a needle moment), it involves imagining white sand on my toes and aqua water to the horizon, warm breezes and tropical flowers.....aaaaaahhhhhhhh... :cool:

If I want to get a troubling thought out of my mind that will just NOT go away, I just turn it over to God and ask that He take it from my heart and my head. Works every time!!! Instantly.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Go to the library and check out some books by Deepak Chopra.
Also, focus on your breathing it does help. Myself, I go outside and lay down on the ground (away from the kids and DH), close my eyes and just breathe. Yea,...okay I fall asleep sometimes but it is SOOO relaxing!!! It helps to have that grounded effect being outside,..good luck! ;)

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm terrible at meditation, I can never shut up my mind.
The technique that works for me is to visualize my fantasy ultimate library room. I put all the things I want in it.

Any stray thoughts, any worries, any things I don't want are misplaced books scattered around the room. I pick up the out-of-place book and put it where it belongs, away on the bookshelves.
Sometimes I have to put a thought away multiple times.

As I have practiced this, interesting things have started happening with it. When I get really peaceful and my mind gets very loose, my subconscious will place things in the room.

Recently there was an old woman holding a little baby goat, they were sitting in a sunny spot, just relaxing.
Often there is a green watering can near the plants that I like to have in the room.

It's a fun technique that works for me :D

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
A few years ago I learned a grounding technique that I incorporate into all my meditation, yoga, massages and communication sessions.

I start out by sitting comfortably but straight. I mentally level my 'pelvic bowl' and start to form a ball of red fire at the base of my spine. This usually takes 3-5 breaths. Then, with each of my next inhalations, I search each of my limbs for any distractions. With each exhalation I run them through my body and add them to the growing ball in my core. I can go back over each limb as many times as I want until they all feel clean and empty. Then with my next exhale I drop the ball into the center of the earth, leaving a cord connecting me to the earth. Any further thoughts can just drain away through that cord. At the end of my session, I snip the cord and let the last of the fire flow out.

After a while I got to the point where I could do the whole thing in a couple breaths or maintain it for the entire hour of my sessions.

I find it helps my wild monkey mind to be able to concentrate on something, at least at first.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
i'm one of those yoga-ADD people too... all i can think of is all the things i COULD be doing if i wasnt sitting there. and i sing all the time in my head...and if its too quiet i make up ridiculous songs.

they hated me in yoga class - i was a total nightmare. not to mention i was always falling over. i couldnt even do rock pose
:-(
(yes i know its just sitting there but i still couldnt do it. i almost took out a whole row of skinny girls during 'half moon pose.' they finally drove me out with scented candles. )
ROFL!!

now i wanna take auntie zilla to a yoga class....

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I'm terrible at meditation, I can never shut up my mind.
The technique that works for me is to visualize my fantasy ultimate library room. I put all the things I want in it.

Any stray thoughts, any worries, any things I don't want are misplaced books scattered around the room. I pick up the out-of-place book and put it where it belongs, away on the bookshelves.
Sometimes I have to put a thought away multiple times.

As I have practiced this, interesting things have started happening with it. When I get really peaceful and my mind gets very loose, my subconscious will place things in the room.

Recently there was an old woman holding a little baby goat, they were sitting in a sunny spot, just relaxing.
Often there is a green watering can near the plants that I like to have in the room.

It's a fun technique that works for me :D
That's pretty nifty!