Does anyone sell their produce/homeades at the local farmers market?

babymakes6

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I baked for my local farmer's market (in Ohio) for the last 3 years. You only need a license if you are baking certain things. I could do breads, cakes, cookies, pies, candies, etc. If you make something that has to be kept at a certain temperature (FI: cheesecakes), you must have a license. I don't know what the rules would be for soaps, etc. If you are interested in baking, look up http://www.agri.ohio.gov/FoodSafety/docs/Cottage_Food_Rules_Final6-09.pdf
I did very well, and I still bake for my regular customers. I won't be able to do it this year, because I will be having a baby in June. Four children-the oldest 5 1/2, makes it hard to do things like that!

babymakes6

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks! I have been on BYC for a year, and checked out the other forums, but never joined.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
welcome bm6! glad you stopped lurking and joined us! wow all us ohio gals! whoot!

i'll be hitting the farm market harder this year. i have all these day lilies and will branch off into starter plants. the Ag guy came out and handed me a license no problem - it was really easy and quick.

except he didnt call when he showed up, in an unmarked car, and walked past the gate... so i set the dogs on him. really. he should have known better. i still cant believe he gave it to me. hee hee hee
;-)

the food thing is tricky - especially with the govt on a witch hunt lately. i dont sell any of my eggs. i give them to folks. if they choose to give me something (no money) back, out of the goodness of their hearts, thats on them.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
This will be my 4th year selling. I have sold woven baskets and purses, but mainly I sell garden veggies and fruits. I don't have a license for eggs, so sell those off the farm. This year I hope to sell handmade soap and lip balms, but my main market already has 2 vendors selling those and I'm not sure if they will let me also.

As for how I do, I am NOT a regular vendor. Regular vendors build up a loyal customer base, as they should. Even so, I can usually make $100 at a 5-hour market and on good days do a fair amount over $200.

I have learned not to bother going during the times of season when I don't have valuable items (think zukes and cukes) and save my efforts for things like berries and sweetcorn.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have sold my blackberries in years past. Most of our vendors have regular spots (our local farm market is out of the back of your truck in a parking lot), but you could go up that day and if they had a spare spot you could sell. Our market was veggies and fruits that YOU PERSONALLY grew for years. Now they have added some crafts.

It was worth it to me. I made a good profit each time I sold.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We sell at 3 markets. The largest one is indoors, electricity and all, open year-round. It's a city market. The other 2 are small town markets, outdoor, May - Oct.

Our products are meats (pastured chicken, pork, beef) veggies, eggs, baked goods, jams/jellies, relishes/pickles. Depending on the season I also take fresh or dried herbs when I have them, and dry mixes like pasta mixes, baking mixes, rice mixes, etc.

We're starting a CSA this year and will be taking those deliveries to the markets for pick-up.

We have an inspected kitchen for the food items, and a meat handlers license for the meats. Since we're on a well here at the farm, we had the water tested as part of the kitchen inspection. Here in NC we can sell up to 30 dz table eggs per week without an egg license.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
That is really cool Kim!
gettinaclue said:
Hi Kim! :welcome

I have family not to far from you.

You sure live in some pretty country.
Thanks!

Yes, we're close to the VA border, only about 10-15 miles. What part of VA are your family in?

We bought our farm in Spring 2007 and moved later that Summer. We love it here...very pretty and a very friendly community.

We started doing the farmers markets in 2008. We've found it very easy to build business at the markets.