Does anyone sell their produce/homeades at the local farmers market?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Let's hope no one here is from the CIA. :p I hear they have been having fun on FaceBook and Twitter.
Between me and hubby I am sure we already have a really thick file :gig

We are radicals ya know. Promoting freedom, the principles outlined by the founding fathers, free market capitalism, small government...

Got to watch for people like us!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey Wifezilla :frow Thanks for misquoting me there.

Bet you haven't had any low flying helicopters though. That's how you really know you are on the LIST. ;)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our market requires a greenhouse license if you sell potted plants, a domestic kitchen certificate (have to take a course to get it and be inspected) if you sell prepared foods, a permit (inspection, etc. to sell eggs, and of course all kinds of permits to sell meat. I also don't want anybody snooping around my place (I've got nothing to hide, but get real). I would have to have my water tested because I have a well. So I just bootleg my eggs to friends who don't give a hoot about my water.
We don't have to have any kind of permit to sell produce.

Edited to add: I couldn't get a domestic kitchen license anyway. I have animals in the house and don't have any doors to close off my kitchen when I'm cooking.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Opps! Tried to get the smiley back in after I quoted and blew it LOLOLOL
All fixed.

As for the low flying helicopters, We are near an air port, an air force base, and an army air field. I would worry if I didn't see low flying helicopters :D

:: wanders off to find tinfoil helmet ::

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
OK, thank you Wifezilla for fixing the smilie. :)

By low flying, I mean approximately 50' above ground, over your property. ;) It is apparently illegal (I think it is considered trespassing), but unreportable should you ever find it happens to you.

I keep extra tin foil hats around for emergency situations . . . if you lose yours, I can send you an extra. ;)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla-isn't it just wonderful when they do the "touch & go's"? That's what I call it when they practice take off and landings with the big planes. I too live within 5 miles of Army & Air Force bases and somedays their flight path is right overhead. I don't usually worry much unless the house rattles.

DrakeMaiden-can I get a hat too? :p

BBH-yeah I suppose there is a good side to so much regulation though sometimes it's hard to see that if it's something you want to do but can't-legally anyway. :D

Hey.........isn't it only illegal if they catch you??? :lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
Our market requires a greenhouse license if you sell potted plants, a domestic kitchen certificate (have to take a course to get it and be inspected) if you sell prepared foods, a permit (inspection, etc. to sell eggs, and of course all kinds of permits to sell meat. I also don't want anybody snooping around my place (I've got nothing to hide, but get real). I would have to have my water tested because I have a well. So I just bootleg my eggs to friends who don't give a hoot about my water.
We don't have to have any kind of permit to sell produce.

Edited to add: I couldn't get a domestic kitchen license anyway. I have animals in the house and don't have any doors to close off my kitchen when I'm cooking.
Thanks for outlining the permits that you have found needed!
I always have loads of cut herbs which from the sounds of it wouldn't require a permit. Anyone can set up a produce stand out by the road here and no permit needed. So pretty much- cut herbs, soaps, produce will keep one out of permit trouble. :D

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You're right Sylvie. No permits needed for cut flowers or cut herbs. And I think they also allowed sale of tomato and pepper plants without greenhouse permit. You're also right - not permits needed for sales at your home (at least if you're not caught ;) ). I think the greenhouse permit is mainly to prevent spread of fire ants, etc. Your local farm extension office (do you have those where you live?) could explain it all.