Does Monsanto own the seeds you bought?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, the big US seed companies are all in there :(

A few Canuck links for local non-GMO, heirloom, open-pollinated etc. seed:

Saltspring Seed www.saltspringseeds.com for organic, open-pollinated varieties (many lovely heirlooms!)
Bow Seed http://www.gardenersweb.ca/safeseed.lasso (Alberta company)
Casey's Heirloom Tomatoes http://www.caseysheirloomtomatoes.ca/ (Alberta company)

I personally avoid Manitoba-based McKenzie Seeds, however a quick search through their website indicates that they are still pretty Canuck-based despite having been purchased by Jiffy in 2006. They do carry a few of the listed varieties that seem to be owned by Monsanto (based on the links above)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Thanks for the extra links, Moolie. I thought that one of the articles I posted (maybe it was in the comments?) said that Salt Spring wouldn't ship to the US due to customs issues. If that is the case then it stinks!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, it's reciprocal--we Canucks can't order seeds from several US companies due to customs regs.

It's all about preventing diseases from spreading etc. and is a good thing.

However, the system does favour the big companies because they have the means to jump through the customs regs.

Best idea is to source out small local companies like the ones I linked to and to swap with friends, as well as saving as much of your own healthy seed as is practicable. A great resource for learning all the ins and outs of seed-saving is Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Moolie! More reading and researching material :)

hqueen13

Reaction score
Egz, according to the article (if I read it right, which could be half the problem) that ISN'T enough anymore... From what I read Monsanto now OWNS a number of the companies that sell seeds - GMO or not. So if you're buying those seeds, you're buying from Monsanto. I guess it just depends on how much you want to object to them, and how much you don't mind so long as its not supposed to be GMO.
I just don't trust them, regardless....