Does Monsanto own the seeds you bought?

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When so many bad things are coming from so many angles, it's easy to give up. Right now I am keeping an eye on several interest groups and associations that can and do greatly effect my daily life. When some of these situations calm down then I'll start paying attention to Monsanto. Injustices thrive because it's impossible to watch out for everything all the time. It's like catching chickens, if you move slow enough they'll never see you coming--that's what happens with corporations and the undesirable interest groups they do a little at a time until suddenly they've taken over your life.

HWC

winstonlacewing

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
most of the veggie seeds available to home gardeners that could potentially come from a monsanto-owned company (most likely seminis) are hybrid. here's a list of all of the vegetable varieties that seminis is producing: google: 'agardenforthehouse monsanto'

be sure to read the note at the bottom of the list about non-exclusive varieties. a few varieties (mainly self-pollinating ones: blue lake bean, a couple of the peppers) are open-pollinated, and sold by other companies. there are plenty of seed companies out there selling non-gmo, non-monsanto-produced seeds. also, i don't believe any of the monsanto/seminis seed is certified organic. you're safest bet is to buy organic seed: google: 'OSA organic seeds'

hope this helps :)

FarmerPaul

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I agree Winston about buying only Certified Organic seed which Baker Creek does not have. It is the only way to be sure you are getting gmo free seed. We get our seed from Sustainable Seed Co. because of they do sell organic, but also have a really strong stance against GMOs. They post it numerous places on their website and are family owned. We used to buy from Seed Savers, but no more after they through out Kent Whealy (the founder) and donated all that seed to the seed bank who was started by all the pesticide companies http://attempter.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/seed-savers-exchange-svalbard-and-corporatism-3/[/url

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another reason for saving your own seed. Just make sure that the seed you save isn't the property of giant agribusiness. :rant I have been saving my heirloom tomato and pepper seeds for years and will start to save other crops as well.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"They "own" the rights to the gene that causes breast cancer. Because they "found" it and got the patent through. So now they OWN all rights to working with a gene that naturally is a part of many of us. THEY are the only ones who can study the gene...unless someone else wants to pay for the "right" to study a naturally occuring thing..."

As someone with end-stage breast cancer, this hits home to me. I've heard this and cannot believe how evil it is. It is beyond offensive. All I can say is, Congress was really, really out to lunch when they allowed this (or was it the Supreme Court? My brain is dead and I can't remember which one!) At any rate, I appreciate the knowledge you all have about where I can go to get seeds that won't interfere with my conscience. It's pathetic that we have to jump through so many hoops and sift through so much advertising, garbage, etc. just to find which places sell non GMO or Monsanto seeds!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had not heard this before. So how does the American Cancer Society do their research? Do they have to buy cancer cells from Monsanto?
Monsanto has bought enough of the FDA officials and congressmen, that they don't have much trouble getting their way, whether the governing body is out to lunch or not. If the latest farm bill gets approved as is, it will be even easier for Monsanto to get their new creations on the market with no testing whatsoever.
Raro, I am sorry for your trouble, and I don't mean to trivialize the severity of your situation. I don't know what can be done, truly.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wanted to add that I just found an article on the web site "care2" dated in March that said the supreme court overturned a lower court order that gave ownership to the two breast cancer genes in question. So at least that's one victory.