Dog Breeding

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not that it is anyone's business but I waited a long time to get a show/ breeder quality puppy. Just because I don't show doesn't mean I want an inferior quality puppy. I didn't breed my first poodle because she was not up to par. I would not breed my dog to any dog around the corner just to get puppies. I could do that if that was what I wanted. You don't have all my information about my dog because it is not your business. There will not be a dozen puppies to find homes for. Toy poodles in this line only tend to have 2-4 puppies in a litter. Why do some people think they are the puppy police? That only they have enough knowledge to make breeding decisions. You must not have a very fulfilling life if you feel the need to push your ideals on other people.

Reminds me of a time when I was in the feed store and there were some cats they were trying to find homes for. Another customer came up to me and insisted I adopt a cat. I personally have no interest in cats. When I told her that she got very emotional and started yelling at me that everyone should adopt cats. She got a lot of looks and people were wondering if they should call for some help for her. Some people are overly emotional when it comes to cats and dogs.

Is someone insinuating I would breed malformed dogs that will eat their young? What makes you think I am breeding inferior stock? You don't know what my vet said or what tests were done. All I said was I wasn't planning on spending thousands of dollars.

I am glad I have given you something exciting to do in your must be boring life. Do you really have nothing better to do than harass me?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
In my experience, people who have the testing done will post the results of the testing because 1) they are proud of their dog's health and 2) it is additional information to help guide selecting a stud dog. They contact breed clubs, not a group of somewhat anonymous people with no dog breeding experience. Instead of getting defensive if the testing is questioned, they simply post links to CHIC, CERF and OFA databases.

OFA will cost $200 - $350. CERF costs about $35 per year. I don't recall the cost of CHIC or PRA testing. You'd be hard pressed to find even a low-quality stud service for less than $500. Plus there is the cost of tail docking, deworming twice, 2 sets of vaccines, and removing dewclaws. Not including CHIC and PRA testing, with a litter of 2 - 4, your expense per puppy would already be $700! Keep in mind that doesn't include food, care of the b*tch during gestation, and little expense that add up quickly. It doesn't include your time (lots and lots of time!) and all the work required to socialize, train, and groom a litter of puppies. It you want to PROFIT from selling puppies, you'd need to be pricing at $1K or higher.

But for $1K, you have some serious competition! Show quality puppies out of AKC champion parents, health testing going back generations, lifetime health guarantee, start at just $1,200. Why would someone by a lower quality puppy for the same price as a high quality puppy?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
generl experience...
anyone whos doent their homework dosent have to ask where they should go to find a stud...

youll find good studs by going though your breed club breeders list...
if there isnt one local you pay for semen straws and do AI...

IF your dog has the crednetials youll have no problem finding a stud/AI thorugh your the breed club
http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/

but again theyll want to know your genetic (not vet) testing results.

or you can go to LSN, hoobly, local classifieds ect and find any ole stud, thers usually at least one breeder on the free online classifeids willing to stud out...its not like toy and mini poodles are "rare" or "hard to find"
but then you aveto ask yourself...is THAT stud worthy too...

i will say though, if the comment in this thread have offended you...you REALY need to double think this ide becuse thus far this has been a nice CIVIL thread compared t most" want to breed my dog" threads online andif you s a breeder cant adress some basic concerns (like what health tesitng has your dog had) asked by posters on a forum...whats going to happen should you not have enough buyers and advetise for sale...your going to get some comment MUCH harsherthan whats been pointed out here....

Just somehting to keep in mind

and yeah, going to back out of this one completly now...

good luck

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dad used to breed Siberian Huskies. Purebred, back yard breeder. We didn't do health testing, didn't use champ stock, we used breeders who had healthy AKC registered huskies who were unrelated. Never had problems with health in these "badly bred dogs" as most would put them. As for puppy mills, most I wouldn't purchase from. A lot of them have them in cages and breed them until they run out of spunk. The SPCA? Ha. There's a laugh. They're a "business" just like any other. They may be "non-profit", but they have to pay their workers and managers, and most of them are at the point that they are there for the paycheck. My last dog was a standard, double dapple dachshund, blind, deaf and rotten teeth by the time we got him, at age two. He was a puppy mill breeder dog. Now, you might say, "That's horrible, why would they breed a blind and deaf dog!" Right? Well, apparently, while I still disagree with the double dapples/merles, using a blind and deaf dog is actually your best bet if you ARE going to breed them, because, for some ungodly reason, it cuts out the chance that the pups will have it. How? I'm not sure, it doesn't make sense to me, but it was explained to me, many years ago, by some high end show breeders.

As for breeding your own... If she's healthy, you have homes lined up and can do it, go for it. The numbers of dogs put down in shelters are just that, numbers, they don't give you the full picture. Most people want a pup that they can raise on their own. MANY of the dogs put down are unfit to be rehomed because of some past abuse/neglect. Most SPCA's don't put a dog down simply because they don't have room. They work together and ship dogs all over the place to find homes for them. The dogs that finally do get put down for lack of a home isn't because there aren't enough homes for dogs, but because nobody wanted that dog. Cruel? Maybe, but most people don't want an "oops" dog. Try looking at the actual "purebred" rescues. They aren't nearly as full as the SPCA full of mutts. They can get away with "no kill" options, because there just isn't the turnover rate, because people prefer purebreds over mutts.

People get all emotional over breeding dogs. There are plenty of folks who breed substandard livestock, but you don't hear the complaints for them. You can just kill 'em and eat 'em. You see poorly bred poultry everywhere. Nobody is out there demanding that you not breed your chickens, even if you have no intentions of eating the "subpar" birds. While I won't buy hatchery stock for certain breeds, others, I'm just fine with, just like a dog. I want a bull terrier, but you know what? I'm not spending $2,000 on one. Kind of like cats... You can buy a purebred, or you can go get a barnyard cat. Our purebred cat, a Maine Coon, has had several health issues.... The dozen barnyard cats we've had, the most we've had to deal with was parasites.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
baymule said:
Woodland Woman said:
Ya'll are NUTS! I asked a simple question. I didn't ask for a lecture. I don't have to answer to you. My dog is a quality dog from a reputable breeder. I am not looking to make money or start a breeding business.
Not everyone wants a shelter dog! I waited 2 years for one of my dogs and almost a year for the other.
I want to offer my sympathy. I read the lecture, take comfort in the fact that the know-it-all can't even spell or use correct punctuation.

Some of you might do well to read and re-read your posts before you hit the submit. What you post can be taken the wrong way, it seems that the OP has simply asked a question, that does not make her a backyard breeder, cranking out inferior animals and contributing to the over population of unwanted animals.

Before this turns into a free for all, apologies might be in order. Let's keep the peace here and be encouraging, not discouraging. I'll lead off, I apologize for calling the lecturer a know-it-all.
WELL SAID.

Latest posts