Dog Breeding

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How do I go about finding stud service for my toy poodle?
The breeder I got her from was going to help breed her but since then has downsized and has no unrelated males.
Another only offers expensive artificial insemination.
I am in Missouri on the east side of the state.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Is she AKC registered? If so, go on their website and see if they list breeders. You can also see if you can find a poodle forum. They may be able to help.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The market for poodles is soft. If you don't have PRA, CERF, OFA, and CHIC testing done on the breeding pair, you will struggle to sell puppies. I bought a poodle last year. The breeder cut prices by 2/3 and still couldn't sell the puppies. One didn't sell until it was nearly a year old. They estimated they lost $8K on the litter.

Breeding dogs is simply not a profitable occupation/hobby.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Is she AKC registered? If so, go on their website and see if they list breeders. You can also see if you can find a poodle forum. They may be able to help.
I checked but I couldn't find any nearby. Or maybe I am just not good at searching.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tortoise said:
The market for poodles is soft. If you don't have PRA, CERF, OFA, and CHIC testing done on the breeding pair, you will struggle to sell puppies. I bought a poodle last year. The breeder cut prices by 2/3 and still couldn't sell the puppies. One didn't sell until it was nearly a year old. They estimated they lost $8K on the litter.

We want to breed her because we have people who WANT her puppies. She is a chocolate and we are looking for a chocolate or red stud.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:

Really? Have you ever heard of "Puppy Mills"? The small and toy poodles Have pretty much been ruined, To much inbreeding. Mixed breeds like Cockerdodles are replacing them as small house dog pets.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tortoise said:
If you are looking for red, you'd probably be best to find a stud older than 7 years old or that has been imported from Europe: http://www.redstandardpoodles.net/Page_9.html

A breeder to contact would be Amity Valley. They do health testing and have browns, cafe's. http://www.amitykennels.com/toys.html
Beautiful dogs. I have noticed some canadian breeders breed these colors that don't fade as much as browns and reds are apt to.

But.... I am not looking to spend thousands of dollars or breed for champions. I don't intend to show my dogs. I like my 6 lb. toy poodles because of their
temperment and intelligence even though they do conform well.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Check if your state has a dog "lemon law" before you breed something without health testing!

There are lots of shelter dogs (poodles included) that are sweet and smart. You aren't doing any person or any animal any good if you're not making a breed better. People are terribly disillusioned about the quality of the dog they have versus the quality expected from the breed. This is why we see so many deformed, blind, toothless, nasty little poodles -- and why people are drawing away from the breed.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
try posting on craigslist looking for a stud. or you can try ebay classifieds or on the facebook groups.