Dog Breeding

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
th tort and gd on this...
Just because our not interested in showing doesnt mean you shoudl be ok with breeding dogs that couldnt be if their future owners wanted to..

temperment is great but its only PART of the equation...any breedr with a dog worth breeding to wouldnt bother becuase your dogs not got at minimum the genetic health testing.
ive no problem with people breeding dogs who havent been shown, i showd my dogs for the first 2 years with ruby and a year wiht jasper and we all hated it....
but the GOAL of breeding anything is to better the breed...
so despite yoru dog being "great" and sweet and wonderfull...
what have you done to prove that shes any better than all the othe rpoodles sitting in kennels and shelters.

also as someone with lots of experience in the dog breeing world...
from that list of ALL those frineds an family and neighbors who want one...reduce it to 1/8th becaue most wil back out ebfore the pups are old enough to go home (or if your selling chap/giving away theyll take em and try to re-se them at a prfit when the "cute puppy" wears off and the "we dont have time" kicks in.

if you want to do this RIGHT...youll need cerf/ofa and pra results t minimum before any good breeer will consider you.

an add on craiglsist will get you flagged and well...in reguards to a "well thi guy down the street will breed his poodle to mine" common mentality....just remember you get ahat you pay for...and a registration certificate only means "well we know the ames of the parents" and NOTHING else.
what happens to those puppies should they develop hip dysplaysia in 3-6 years, or a debilitating patella luxation issue (VERY common in toy breeds, and usually doesnt even start untill the puppy turns 2) ect...
will you offer you puppy buyers refuns for the cost of surgery to fix these things becaus eyou bred gentically untested dogs?
keep in mind that just because your dog isnt displayig symptms of many of these issues, they ARE geneitc and can be carried/passed to future generations easily...

Im NOT trying to be men or a downer...
just tyring to give you a very to the point idea of what the dog breeding word is like....

if your "making money" breeding dogs...your doing it wrong lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
also as someone with lots of experience in the dog breeing world...
from that list of ALL those frineds an family and neighbors who want one...reduce it to 1/8th becaue most wil back out ebfore the pups are old enough to go home (or if your selling chap/giving away theyll take em and try to re-se them at a prfit when the "cute puppy" wears off and the "we dont have time" kicks in.
Very true! Even if they put down a hefty deposit for a pup, most people will not wait a couple weeks.

I've been in the pet care industry for a decade. After learning from their mistakes, people research and wait for months, maybe even years to get the right puppy or dog for them. I've waited up to 3 years for a puppy from a particular mating. My poodle took 8 months to find. And only was so fast because the breeder I picked happened to have a couple puppies and one was suitable for the purpose I was looking for.

I'm not anti-breeding. I used to work for a famous breeding kennel. People paid $1K to reserve a spot on the waiting list - and then wait for up to 5 years to get their puppy. That kennel also lost money every year. It wasn't from dog show expenses, but for 4 kennel employees to care for their 25 dogs.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya'll are NUTS! I asked a simple question. I didn't ask for a lecture. I don't have to answer to you. My dog is a quality dog from a reputable breeder. I am not looking to make money or start a breeding business.
Not everyone wants a shelter dog! I waited 2 years for one of my dogs and almost a year for the other.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, you didn't ask for a lecture - but you DID post on a public forum. You post on a public forum, you're going to get many and various opinions. And, name calling? It's just not nice!

You can do whatever you want to do with your little dog. I wish you well. And, if you do breed her I hope you find wonderful forever homes for all the sweet little pups!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
Ya'll are NUTS! I asked a simple question. I didn't ask for a lecture. I don't have to answer to you. My dog is a quality dog from a reputable breeder. I am not looking to make money or start a breeding business.
Not everyone wants a shelter dog! I waited 2 years for one of my dogs and almost a year for the other.
I want to offer my sympathy. I read the lecture, take comfort in the fact that the know-it-all can't even spell or use correct punctuation.

Some of you might do well to read and re-read your posts before you hit the submit. What you post can be taken the wrong way, it seems that the OP has simply asked a question, that does not make her a backyard breeder, cranking out inferior animals and contributing to the over population of unwanted animals.

Before this turns into a free for all, apologies might be in order. Let's keep the peace here and be encouraging, not discouraging. I'll lead off, I apologize for calling the lecturer a know-it-all.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
"What you post can be taken the wrong way, it seems that the OP has simply asked a question, that does not make her a backyard breeder, cranking out inferior animals and contributing to the over population of unwanted animals."

EX: run on sentence and improper punctuation

Sorry, I apologize for pointing that out.

I should have prayed for Him to stop my fingers from typing....

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Having a dog from a reputable breeder doesn't make it breeding-worthy.

My dog is out of AKC champion parents, from health-tested bloodlines, from a reputable breeder. He also happens to be ewe-necked, lacks in chest, and has cow hocks. His temperament is super, but he's not good enough to breed.

Would you breed rabbits that eat their young just for the color? Would you breed mean goats just because you didn't want to go through the work of finding better stock? Would you breed a dairy cow with hoof defects? Would you breed any livestock animal with unsound structure or strong genetic predisposition towards disease?.

I didn't think so.

But it is acceptable to follow similar breeding practices in dogs - because of the owner's emotional attachment to the dog? We (as a culture) remove natural selection but refuse to make wise breeding decisions. The result? Unhealthy (or worse: unstable) dogs - and more of dogs than there will ever be people to take care for them!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to put my 2 cents in, and that's all I'm going to say cuz I don't like the direction this thread is heading.

I'm hoping next year to get a dog-a pure bred dog. I do not care if the parents are champions. I'm not really looking to get one from a show breeder. But, I will not get a dog that has any known genetic defect. I will not get one from a known puppy mill. Personally, I don't have a problem w/someone that has a good dog that may not be show quality that breeds their dog to another dog that may not be show quality but both have had the appropriate tests to be sure that they are NOT perpetrating known defects. I'm sure there are many others out there like me that love a certain breed of pure bred (for me, it's Cockers), but don't really care about the background. We just want a good, healthy dog that has had the proper testing done. We're not looking to show, we're not looking to breed, we just want a nice dog.

Parentage in an animal shows what the parents did, but is not necessarily an indication of what the offspring is going to do. In fact, when it comes to breeding, I often think of a quote by Sir Thomas Overbury, the man who has not anything to boast but of his illustrious ancestors is like a potato -- the only good belonging to him is underground.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1: yay take a low blow at the poster with no spell check and a learning disability stemming form a head injury

2: was it meant as a lecture, no, did it come across tht way, aparently so..but i dont care, ive been invovled inthe dog breeding world since birth,my families alswya sbeen involved, what i posted is truth...
i dont care if you prance your dog round the ring or its just a well loved family pet...but without the CORRECT genetic health testing for the breed you are a back yard breeder and yes contributing to INFERIOR fuure genertions...
id like to knwo what the op intends to do wth all those pupies shoudl most of the "byers" back out, what the op plns to do it 2 years down the line the buyer doesnt want the dog, if 5 years down the line the dog looses all use f its hips due to genetic hip dysplaysia, if 10 years down the line a puppy she produces gets some serious illness and the owner cant afford to pay covereage.
a RESPONSIBLE respectable breeder ha strict contracts reguaring all that, including reuirments for genetic testing should they plan to breed, and strict "return" clauses shoudlthe owner not be able to keep the dog...
poodles are alreyd such an overal"genetically uhealthy and undiversified breed that theres MANY geneitc isues that should be tested for before any breeding is done wether your breeding the next champion or "just for pets"

and i did anser her question....
if your looking for a quality dog to bred to your going to HAVE to get testing done because no REPATABLE QUALITY breeder is going to bred to an "inferior" dog....(they dont want their name on potentil genetic messes as it muckies up thierown names and reputations.
but obvisouly the op and im sure many people who havent had to see the MESS some of these "we just anted one litter" dogs end up in a few years down the line simply dont care what the puppies end up like as lng as there cute and people want them...
has the op taken into account what happens should the dog need an emergency c-section? couple thousand bucks right there at the e-clinic and happens fairly often in toy breeds?! has the op made themselves aware fo the genetic issues their breed can have from epilepsy to failing knees to water onthe brain?

theres a harsh reality involved in the world of dog breeding and if you think MY post was mean...lord help you if you ever run across some of the larger/show breeders...

YES i breed my chinese cresteds, my ogs re genetically tested for knees, hips, elbows and eyes, all clear, (and no a "he looks fine to me" from my vet was NOT enough...they did take to the show ring nd did well but i personally couldnt handle the atmosphere and that in turn prevented them form enjoying it...
I have STRICT contracts on my puppies an keep intouch with eveyr single puppy buyer, each puppy owner knows that shouldsomething happen and they cant keep the dog it comes straight bac to me and ALL puppies are microchipped in my name as primary contact...

as tortoise pointed out, you wouldnt breed inferior livestiock just because thats all you had...you would (hopefully) try to IMPROVE on your stock, breed better, improve...
so why shoudl reeding dogs, or cats,or hamsters be any different?!