Dog poo

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it was on this forum that we got to discussing using dog poo for fertilizer. Someone said that it's not advisable to use. So I took it at face value. But got to wondering why.

So I got to looking and it seems that while it does make great fertilizer there are several parasites that do transfer to humans. I think we all knew that. But I didn't even think of it as a reason not to garden with it.

However composting it does kill these parasites.

So I'm gonna give it a go. My compost pile has gone cold and slimy anyway. Ran out of dead material to add to it. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't see a single thing wrong with using dog poop. Pig poop also has parasites we can contract but you don't see folks telling you not to use pig poop in your compost and even directly on the garden if it calls for it.

Here's my thinking on it....those parasite eggs are tiny and are being shed all the time. Each time a dog defecates and then walks back into a home, those worm eggs are on the anus and even the fur around the anus, even on the feet of the dog as most house dogs are walking right through their own fecal matter in those small yards anyway....VERY difficult to get every tiny morsel of dog poop out of grass, no matter how much you may try.

Every time that house dog or even the house cat gets done pooping there is fecal residue, even if you cannot see it, on their anus. They walk into the home and sit down, be it on carpeting, furniture, counters, tables, beds, etc. Wherever they sit or walk while carrying those parasite eggs is potential for exposure to humans....but no one seems to think this is a cause for alarm. Don't know why that is. They will let their kids roll around all over where dog and cat butts have sat and think nothing about it, but mention cat or dog poop in the garden and all kinds of alarms go off.

Never have figured that one out. :hu Those vegetables can be rinsed and are often cooked before consumption but that carpet, the couch, the bed and everything are still being contaminated day after day with parasite eggs and no one can rinse those off.

Out here in the country we call that gagging on a gnat, then swallowing a mule. :rolleyes:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And that's exactly why I don't have animals in my house! :hide Also why I don't wear shoes in the house. It's my justification for not mopping.... "If no one wears shoes in the house, how can the floor get dirty" ? :lol:

I once went to spend the night with someone and their dog was laying on the pillow of the bed I was expected to sleep in. I asked if they had a clean pillowcase and they told me those were fresh.... I think I annoyed them when I told them I really didn't want to lay my head where their dog's a$$ had just been, lol! Good thing they were good friends!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
s any poo less gross than any other?
Well... just my opinion...but the poo from meat eaters is GROSSIER (a word, right) than the poo from grass/forage eaters. I will pick up horse/goat poo with my bare hands - but I'm not going to pick up dog poo! :sick

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well after a bit there won't be anywhere that doesn't have poo.

I've only had problems with my pups digging when they were bored. Or hot and found it find someplace to get out of the heat.

Baby poo is the only poo that ever bothered me. That thick let moist tar like black poo. Or the green stuff that migrates up their back if youndont change them right away.

It wasn't the financial burden or not finshinging school that kept me away from teenage pregnancy. It was the poo.

I'm a horrible woman aren't I?

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol this is part of the reason why my dog and my parents dogs when we watch them aren't allowed on my bed, blankets etc.
My younger sister let's get dog drink from her cup and I keep telling her its super unsanitary and nasty (he licks his balls and butthole for Pete's sake) but she still let's him do it!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use dog poo.......I put it in the holes the dogs dig and they don't dog there. They just start new ones. :barnie