dog protection question

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a 16 month old purebred, american labrador, rocks at water retrieval, very waterfowl oriented and knows how to flush. He's not protective, at all. He's never once, ever, growled. You can scare him out of a deep sleep and he just stares at you. Once, ONCE he barked, my niece and I got into the car, he turned around and saw people peering in through the window. He's got the most beautiful scary bark ever.

Problem is, he let's strangers into the house, he let's people come up to me in public and doesn't defend himself. My neighbors pittie, on the other hand, will rip your throat out if she so much as sees you in her sights while she's with me. When we walk, no one better come up to me. I am taking her to class so that she never crosses the line, but I want Jax to be more dependable like that. Yesterday a dog attacked him and he ran between my legs (he's 95# lean, this was no comfortable position.)

Maybe its my fault, when he was a puppy I took him *everywhere*, let everyone touch and pet him, let every dog sniff him. He is an amazing therapy dog, very much his passion. But I don't feel comfortable home alone w/ him unless I have a gun by my side. I can't walk out in the dark w/ him, last time some creep walked into him while my back was turned, and he was already pressed up against my legs. Creep.

Is there anyway to make him more aware and protective?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sure others with more experience will speak up, but ... Pretty much all the labs I have known were big loving softies, more likely to greet a burglar and give him a tour of your home than offer to bite him. I'm sure there are ways to encourage him to be more protective, but I'm not sure what the cost in terms of his personality would be. You might not like the outcome ...

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:/ Yeah. He's got a great gift not every other dog has, I think that's the "problem".

At least my past labs barked, then grabbed a toy and barked through the toy, you know? This dog just sleeps when the dish guy enters my home.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just get another dog. He'll have a pal, you'll have protection. I'd vote for a German Shepherd.
:lol:

I know, I'm a lot of help. Sowwy!!!

(and I'm just teasing you, in case I don't show it well in type. I really do hope you find a good solution!). :)

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haha, I've been wnting to get another dog. I didn't like Jax until recently (found out I'm NOT a puppy person) and for protection. In the next year ill get another, but $ is too strapped right now.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Not sure you can, or should even try. As others have said, if you want a dog with a different personality get a second dog with that personality ;)

However, it sounds to me like you mainly want the dog to be percieved as intimidating. Strangers on the street are not going to know his personality; all they know is what they see. Therefore, I have heard of people in situations similar to yours teaching their dogs several commands: 1) to bark on cue and 2) to stop barking on cue.... and (this is the point of the exercise) you teach "quiet!" as the cue TO BARK, and "protect!" as the cue to stop. (Or any similar version you prefer). The idea being to give the impression that the dog is a) hostile and b) trained to some degree in ways the person might not enjoy finding out firsthand.

Mind you this works a bit better with shepherd- or pitbull-y looking dogs than with an obvious Lab, but I know labs who do schutzhund competition :p and in any case you HAVE a lab and all you can really do is give the most not-lab-like presentation you can :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
While you can boost up his confidence and help him look more intimidating, you cannot change the personality type of your first dog. I vote with those who say to get a second dog, with a more of a watchdog temperament or possibly just a different breed. Some labs are great watchdogs, but not all dogs of a certain breed are alike.

If you cannot, really, get another dog right now (it would not have to be a puppy, in fact, it is harder to judge puppy personalities than adult dog personalities) then I'd do everything I could to obedience train the current dog and use good commands. Don't make your command "take" make it "get it!" and don't make it "down" make it "Enough!", and as Pat said, teach it when to bark by teaching "speak!" but say "Watchem!" You can sometimes bring out the more protective instincts with dogs by playing games. It kind of depends on the personality of your dog. You might try to get into a good dog class and ask the instructor about this question as someone on-site evaluating your dog can judge it better than those of us just hearing a description.

Buy the dog a spike collar, refer to it as killer and don't ever tell people the dog is friendly to people unless they are your very best friend. Dogs have a reputation based on dogdom and if your dog isn't one of the more protective, don't advertise it, he can run on the reputation of dogs in general with a good percent of the population of bad guys.

I hope that helps.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You have a wonderful dog. You never know what they will do when it counts. Since he is a therapy dog do not try and change his temperament. A dog trained for protection has no business doing therapy work. They are two very different animals. Also your friends pitty is not a good example of a good protection dog. A good one does not want to eat all people. They need to be discerning. She is not. You need a dog in between the two. They need to understand that the mailman is not a danger but the guy creeping towards you is.
A dog should only bite as the last option. Barking is enough usually.
You did a wonderful job raising your lab. I can tell that just by your description of him. I have a dog that will hide behind my legs as well. I understand just how annoying it can be. I also have a lab who is what you are saying you what yours to be. He is a real handful. If you cant afford the price of dog from a good breeder, check out rescues. You can find some really good dogs that way.

I also suggest training him to bark and quiet with small hand signals. That and his color will be enough to make most people think twice.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dudley ;) He has red points, there's not a single drop of black or brown, his eyes are yellow, even his paw pads are red.

Thanks guys! I've been trying to teach him how to.bark on command. Not quite getting it, I really think he's the most submissive dog ever and wants to stay that way.