dog protection question

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Maybe he didn't have a REASON to bark before. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with your brother, he was concerned with your brother's head shape being strange, he seemed like a stranger.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Maybe he's just young? My lab mix dog is going on 5 years now and still acts like a pup....was scared of a JR terrier this past weekend!

He will bark a few times at new arrivals to the property but is too darn friendly to really pull off the whole guard dog thingy.

Maybe your lab will get some sense of self and his role as he ages....he sounds absolutely adorable, BTW.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When Rio, my100+lb yellow lab was only a year old, a hotel housekeeping lady tried to come in teh room with the security latch fastened. Rio stood head lowered snarling and growling. I was totally off guard.
He adores everyone, goes ape at the vet because he can't wait to see them, worships every child that crosses his path, etc etc.
His parents are titled in Hunt tests and his littermate brother is a therapy dog. He isn't trash bred.... but he watches over me.

Now that he is a little more mature (emphasis on "little") he will bark at strangers at the gate, but if they are brave enough to risk it they get a thorough lashing with his wagging tail and tongue. If he is feeling really rambunctious they could get knocked into one of his abyss holes he digs at the gate.
ETA - but I don't know how he would act away from home just me alone with him, as was the case when he growled before.

I feel safe enough with him, but I would never consider him a protection dog per se. For that I am going to be looking at an Australian Cattle Dog in the spring. Maybe. I sure do miss having one around.